t w e n t y t h r e e

The familiar smell of magical potions and black tea embraces me as I enter the Hospital Wing a week later. I can't help but smile when I see Madam Pomfrey hunched over her desk, reading what appears to be a Muggle romance with a man and woman embracing on the cover.

The Hogwarts matron glances up as I approach, her kind eyes narrowing with concern.

"Eileen, dear, what brings you here today?" Madam Pomfrey asks, peering over the top of her glasses.

I hesitate before responding, reluctant to admit my nightly struggles are back. "I've been having trouble sleeping again."

Madam Pomfrey gestures for me to sit on one of the neatly made hospital beds. "Oh dear. Let's see what we can do about that. Sleep is crucial for your well-being."

I perch on the edge of the bed, my eyes wandering across the familiar surroundings. Unlike the hospital where my father spent his last months, the hospital wing doesn't feel sterile or cold.

During my father's illness, the infirmary became my safe haven whenever I needed peace and someone to talk to, who didn't pity me or try to cheer me up. I found out that Madam Pomfrey had a keen interest in Muggle medical studies, despite being a skilled healer, so she was able to translate and make sense of what my father's doctors were telling me. She even brewed some relaxing potions for me to give him from time to time.

"Now, tell me about these sleepless nights. Any particular reason you find it hard to rest?" inquires Madam Pomfrey, her tone gentle.

I fidget with the hem of my sleeve. "It's just... thoughts. They keep me awake."

The matron nods understandingly. "Thoughts can be quite pesky. We'll find a way to help ease your mind."

After a thorough examination, she produces a small vial. "This should help you find some peace during the night. Take a small dose before bedtime, and it should soothe your troubled mind."

I take the vial and tuck it into the pocket of my robes.

"I saw your brother last week but didn't have a chance to greet him. How is he doing?" Madam Pomfrey inquires.

"Robbie is doing great. He's pursuing professional Quidditch."

Madam Pomfrey tilts her head and sighs. "Dreadful sport. The injuries I have seen. I hope he is careful, though. He spent a great deal of time here, recouping from injuries sustained on the Quidditch field. I don't believe there is a bone in that boy's body that he hasn't broken."

A hint of a smile appears on the matron's face as she speaks of Robbie. Then again, he had inherited all the charms and was always well-liked.

Madam Pomfrey regards me with a thoughtful expression. "What about you, Eileen? Have you given more thought to your future? Are you still interested in pursuing a career as a healer?"

"Yes, I want to help people," I answer and nod.

A smile creeps across Madam Pomfrey's face, a blend of pride and encouragement. "That's a noble calling, my dear. In fact, considering your aspirations, how about spending some time assisting me in the hospital wing next year? It would provide you with valuable experience as you work towards becoming a healer."