t w e l v e

"Snape! You can't just jump out of a moving car!" I exclaim, hitting the brakes as the black-haired boy makes his escape.

"You shouldn't be driving!" he shrieks.

Easter break has finally arrived, and after a week confined in Robbie's cramped London flat, I relish the chance to visit Lily.

The fact that Lily's parents are away for the weekend, leaving the house to us, only adds to my excitement.

And the trip was a chance for me to take my blue 1959 Mini for a spin, a car I've been yearning to drive ever since I got my licence over Christmas.

Though I'm proficient at Apparition, I find driving more enjoyable. It's a sentiment that dwindled slightly when I realised how far Cokeworth is from London. After four hours and a series of wrong turns, I finally arrive in Cokeworth, only to have forgotten Lily's address.

After circling the neighbourhood, trying to envision where Lily might live, I was relieved when I spotted the familiar lanky Slytherin. He wasn't as thrilled to see me, but he reluctantly agreed to help. I suspect it's his way of mending things with Lily.

"I drive just fine," I assert, stepping out of the car and discreetly running my fingers over the bonnet, checking for any scratches and bumps.

Our outburst has caught the attention of Marlene and Lily, who come running outside.

I smile as my two friends rush over, flipping my sunglasses up into my hair.

Marlene, her blonde hair bouncing with every step, and Lily, her arms tightly crossed, take in the sight of the car while Snape skitters nervously away from them.

"Cool! You got a car," Marlene exclaims, her eyes wide with excitement.

"What the hell is that!" Lily's tone is incredulous.

Marlene wastes no time, hopping into the driver's seat, examining the buttons with fascination and pretending to take the wheel. "Please, can I drive it?"

"No, you cannot!" Lily interjects firmly. She turns her piercing gaze to me. "When did you get a car?"

"I just got it this week," I reply, my excitement bubbling over. "Bought it with my own money and everything."

My hard-earned money and dad's inheritance.

Lily opens her mouth, then thinks better of it. She glances at Snape, who seems unsure of himself. "I don't know why you're here, Severus, but you should probably leave right now."

Snape takes a hesitant step forward. "Lily—"

As if on cue, a bespectacled boy emerges from the doorway, striding towards them. "Oi Padfoot, come look at this. Davies got a car!"

James halts abruptly, his gaze zeroing in on Snape. "What's Snivellus doing here?"

Sirius peeks out of the door at the commotion and instinctively reaches for his wand as he notices Snape.

Before anyone has time to react, James and Snape have also drawn their wands. The tension in the air is so thick that it feels like a knife could cut through it.

"Woah!" Lily and I exclaim simultaneously, moving to stand between the boys, acting as shields.

"This is a Muggle neighbourhood. There will be no magic in the driveway. Lower your wands right now," Lily says firmly, her eyes flickering between the two Gryffindors and Snape.

"James, lower your wand!" She adds when no one moves.

"But he—" James begins to protest, but when he sees the expression on Lily's face, he reluctantly lowers his wand and puts a hand atop Sirius's to lower his.