e l e v e n

Turns out, avoiding Sirius is surprisingly easy when it seems he is putting just as much effort into avoiding me. Although we share classrooms and mutual friends, he is either absent or positions himself at the farthest reach of the room. The one time our eyes meet, he swiftly averts his gaze.

"James mentions he's going through a rough patch," Lily confides during Potions, catching me lost in thought, staring at Sirius.

"What?"

"He won't open up to James, but it seems he's been spending a lot of time with Hannah Turnip and Penelope Hunt," Lily continues.

"Who?"

"Both seventh-years. Quite foolish, really, to date two girls, especially when they share most of their classes," she remarks before turning her attention back to her bubbling cauldron.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me that Sirius is seeing both girls. After all, just yesterday, I was caught by Filch, wrapped up in a passionate moment with Holden in an empty classroom. Yet, I can't shake the unease settling in my stomach as I glance at Sirius, only to find him winking at a Ravenclaw.

"Why—?"

"Why am I telling you this?" Lily interjects with a sly smile. "Ellie, you have been staring at him since the class started. Did something happen? Please tell me you didn't—"

"We didn't!" I quickly assure her, drawing the attention of a few nearby students. "I'm just worried about him. He seems... off." I lie.

"Since when do you care about other people?" Lily's eyes widen in realization of her words as I arch an eyebrow. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean it like that."

"It's fine," I reassure her with a gentle smile.

"Will you look at that!" Professor Slughorn's voice chimes as he approaches our table, his hands clapping together in approval as he examines Lily's cauldron. "A perfect Amortentia. 10 points for Gryffindor."

His gaze then shifts to the substance in my cauldron. "Oh dear—too much pearl dust, Ms. Davies."

I let out a groan and reluctantly compare my mucky potion to the pearly liquid in Lily's cauldron.

"Remind me why I'm in this class again?" I mutter to Lily, when the professor moves to the next table.

"Maybe if you weren't obsessing over a certain boy, who, by the way, is staring at you, your potion wouldn't smell like a dead rat," Lily whispers back.

I instinctively look up, finding myself locking eyes with a pair of grey eyes. I quickly avert my gaze.

"I'm NOT obsessing!"

ϟ

"What did you smell?" Marlene asks eagerly as we reconvene after class.

"I caught a whiff of oranges, paper, grass, and..." Lily glances around, making sure no one is within earshot. "... James's cologne."

A bashful smile dances across her features, setting her cheeks ablaze.

"Aww! Young love!" Marlene teases, playfully tousling Lily's hair. "And you, Ellie?"

"Notes of coffee, fresh laundry, old records..." My words halt abruptly as a raised voice pierces the air.

"YOU LIED TO ME!" Dorcas's shouts echo, drawing our attention towards the commotion.

In the courtyard, Dorcas is confronting Magnus, her eyes ablaze with a mixture of hurt and anger.

"It was years ago, Dor. You're acting irrational." He implores, trying to reason with her.

"Irrational? You lied to me!" She points an accusatory finger, closing the distance between them. "She told me, Magnus. She said you told her, you loved her. What does that make me? A consolation prize?"