f o r t y s i x

June 1978

Next to me, I see Lily glancing anxiously towards the towering doors, her brow furrowing in concern.

"Okay, where are they? The feast is about to start," she remarks, her impatience evident in her tone. "Did Sirius mention anything?"

I shake my head. "He just said they would meet us here," I reply, trying to sound casual — like I'm not nervous, they are going to be late, or miss the feast.

"Knowing those four, they're probably up to something," Marlene chimes in, her lips quirking into a wry smile.

At the head table, Professor Dumbledore rises to his feet, his blue eyes surveying the room with a friendly smile.

My own eyes drift to the door, my heart sinking with each passing moment that the boys fail to make their appearance. I can't believe Sirius is actually going to miss the final feast of the school year — the last one before we graduate.

Clearing his throat, Dumbledore begins his speech, his voice projecting effortlessly throughout the Great Hall.

"Dear students, esteemed colleagues, and honoured guests," Dumbledore begins, his soft voice commanding the room. "We mark the end of another year at Hogwarts..."

Before Dumbledore can continue, the doors to the Great Hall burst open with a bang, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

In march the four Gryffindors, their faces flushed with excitement and large grins as they make their grand entrance.

Professor Dumbledore looks up with a twinkle in his eyes, a knowing smile playing on his lips. "Ah, Messrs. Black, Potter, Lupin, and Pettigrew, fashionably late as always," he remarks, his voice carrying across the room with ease.

As the Marauders take their seats, Sirius moves to sit down next to me, a cheeky grin plastered on his face. I raise an eyebrow at him, a mix of amusement and exasperation evident in my expression.

"What have you done now?" I whisper, leaning in closer to him.

"Just a little surprise," he replies, his tone teasing.

I shake my head, unable to suppress a smile despite myself. "You never change, do you?" I whisper back, shaking my head in mock disapproval.

Sirius simply grins in response, his gaze drifting back to the front of the room as Professor Dumbledore resumes his speech.

"To the graduating class. For each of you, I hope that Hogwarts has been more than just a school," Dumbledore continues, his gaze sweeping over the assembled students with a gentle smile. "It has been a place of discovery, of growth, and of transformation. It has been a home. As you stand on the threshold of a new chapter in your lives, I hope you will carry with you the lessons we have learned within these walls. Let us remember the importance of kindness, courage, and standing up for what is right."

My eyes flicker to Sirius, who's sitting beside me. Underneath the table, our hands are intertwined, and he gives me a gentle squeeze when he feels my gaze.

Sirius leans in, his breath on my ear.

“Stop staring, love.” He whispers before he slowly moves his lips away from my ears by running a line down my cheek and subtlety gives me a peck on the lips.

In front of everyone.

If someone told me a year ago that I would let Sirius kiss me in the middle of the end-of-the-year feast, I would most likely have laughed in their faces.

Dumbledore concludes his speech by announcing Gryffindor the winners of the House Cup, and the Great Hall erupts into applause, the sound echoing off the high ceilings and filling the room with energy and excitement. I join in enthusiastically, my heart swelling with pride as I look around the room, trying to take in everything before we have to leave.