t h i r t y s e v e n

I wake up to the sound of a masculine laugh coming from the other side of the curtain and groan quietly, not ready to leave the comfort of the bed. I roll around, stretching my arm, expecting to find Sirius' body. When my arms don't wrap around his warm torso, I shoot my eyes open and find the bed empty.

The voices outside come closer, and I hear a door shutting before the curtains are drawn.

"You're awake." Sirius grins and gets back into bed. "Don't worry, the others have gone downstairs."

"So, we're alone?" I ask him and move on the bed so I'm straddling him. His hands grab my waist, and I lean down to kiss him, first softly. As his lips move against mine, the kiss deepens until both of us are moaning, and I feel something shift underneath me, pulling me out from my trance. I slowly pull away from him and sit up straight, my legs still resting on either side of him.

"I didn't give you your birthday present." I remind him and reach for the wrapped present still sitting on his nightstand. I had come up to his room yesterday - on his actual birthday - to give him my gift, but one thing led to another, and... well, we never got around to it.

He looks at me with a playful grin. "Gifts can wait," he says, pulling me back down for another kiss.

I chuckle against his lips but indulge him for a moment before pulling away again. "Seriously, though," I say, holding up the gift, "Open it."

The grin on Sirius's face widens as he watches me retrieve the gift. "You didn't have to get me something."

I hand him the present, a small smile tugging at the corners of my lips as I watch him eagerly tear away the wrapping paper. His eyes light up when he sees what's inside, and he holds up the Sex Pistols record with a look of sheer delight. I told him about the band during the summer and played him a bootlegged recording, which had him jumping up and down.

"No way! How did you even manage to get this? Didn't this just come out?" Sirius exclaims, his excitement contagious.

I chuckle at his reaction, feeling a sense of satisfaction at having chosen the perfect gift for him. "I may have pulled a few strings," I reply coyly. The album only came out last month, so I had to write to Robbie, asking him to get Mick to put a copy aside for me - while also coming up with an excuse for why I couldn't just call Mick myself. Being friends with muggles turns out to be more difficult than I imagined.

Sirius pulls me back down onto the bed, the record forgotten as he wraps his arms around me. "Thank you," he murmurs, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I snuggle closer to him, feeling content and happy in his embrace. "Happy belated birthday, Sirius," I whisper, tracing circles on his chest with my fingertips.

He smiles down at me, brushing a strand of hair away from my face.

After a moment, I release myself from his embrace. "As much as I'd love to spend the whole day in bed with you, we should probably get up and get ready for class."

He groans playfully. "Do we have to?"

I chuckle and sit up, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. "Yes, we have Potions first thing, and I can't have another detention hanging over my head."

He sighs dramatically but eventually climbs out of bed, reluctantly leaving behind the comfort of the covers. We quickly get dressed, exchanging playful banter as we do.

Ϟ

As the day wears on, I find myself in the Hogwarts infirmary. It's a slow day, so Madam Pomfrey is making me brew potions for curing the common cold, seeing as it's flu season and she's low in stock. Once the potion is simmering, I make my rounds. I'm in the middle of bandaging a minor cut on a first-year Gryffindor's arm when the door to the infirmary swings open, and in walks Magnus Abbott, his arm cradled against his chest in a makeshift sling.