Chapter nine: Midnight

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆.。.:*╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮.⋆。⋆☂˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆.

        It was an accident, such an unfortunate one. How could something like that have even happened? You were certain there were no loose screws or places for faults. You screamed into your pillow, exasperated at how this could've happened, you also received another letter informing you how the authorities would need to perform an investigation and possibly a prosecution against Lyney for murder. 

        "He might even go to prison." You whispered, wondering how he could've been the murderer for that missing woman, your hands trembled and you set the letter down. Your cat meowed, jumping over to you and rubbing its body on yours, you smiled and bent down to rub its fur, the purring got louder and you smiled. You then went over to wash your hands and your cat followed. It jumped onto the empty sink and watched. As the water came out, your cat screeched and jumped away. It was nothing out of the blue for you cat to avoid water but he seemed much more passionate about it now. 

It was like he was allergic to water.. You raised an eyebrow at his behavior and decided to take him to the vet.

        "Ah, Ms. L/N?" The receptionist called out.

        "Ah, that's me!"

        "Alright, please take your pet in, Ms. Smith is ready for you." You nodded and headed inside. Your cat aimlessly scratched at the door of his travel carrier, meowing loudly for you to let him out..

        "Midnight, shh..." You shushed him as you headed inside.

        "Y/N, hey!" Your veterinarian called out to you.

        "Clair! Hey! It's nice to see you again." You smiled.

        "Of course, you aswell. How's Midnight doing?"

        "Oh uhm, I was hoping you could run some tests on him, he's been having an irrational fear of water lately." Your smile faded for a second and it became more of an awkward smile.

       "I see," she inspected the travel carrier, squinting her eyes at your cat.

        "Of course we could run some tests, come back at 3:00 PM?" 

        "Alright, thank you as always, I appreciate it."

       "Anytime.

You decided to take a walk to calm yourself down from everything. You could even lose your job if Lyney was found guilty, but, he wasn't the type of guy to murder anyone, right? You sighed deeply, your future was on this job and you were incredibly dependent on it at the moment. It paid well and you couldn't get another due job to how you'd be travelling for it.

You walked along the same path as always, seeing the usual folk, merchants and tourists. Though, one man caught your eye, a merchant. A crowd was gathering around him and people flocked over to see what he was selling.

        "Rare jewelry and items!" He shouted into the streets, and soon, there was a massive crowd around the man and his stand. You approached and had to squeeze in between strangers to get a look. The man had a display of unique jewelry and accessories, from rings and necklaces to chains and bracelets.

        "Whoa.." You whispered under your breath, taking in the beauty of high quality, polished gemstones. They looked ethereal, too perfect for this world- you were in the of your thoughts when you noticed a small gemstone being snatched and placed into the pockets of a man who was wearing concealing clothing. A black hood over his head and a mysterious black mask along with it.

You watched as the man disappeared around the corner before people started to notice. The small, purple gemstone was less eye catching than the other pieces which made it easier to steal. 

        "Hey...where's the small purple one?!" The stall owner shouting, pointing and beginning to accuse others. You left soon after that, the commotion was too much for you.

        Why didn't you stop the guy, or even run after him? You asked yourself as you continued your stroll.

As you walked through the open roads, you heard somebody call you from behind.

        "Y/N!" You turned around, it was your vet. She hunched over, gasping for air as she finally reached you.

        "Clair? What's wrong, are you alright?" You asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

        "I-It's Midnight, he has rabies!" She shouted, taking ahold of your shoulder and the two of you running over to the clinic. She showed you Midnight in his travel carrier and he acted, incredibly strange. He salivated as he gnawed on the mental bars of his enclosure, his jaw was dropped all the way down, not once moving up and he was very aggressive, meowing loudly at you when you moved closer.

        "A-Are you sure? I usually keep him indoors or on a leash for walks? How could this have happened." Your breath was shaky and you looked into the eyes of Midnight. He snarled at you, trying to squeeze his hands between the bars of the travel carrier, waving his claws around. You immediately backed away, horrified.

         "We've ran some tests and they came back positive." She said, showing you the papers.

        "I-Is there any way to treat this?" You cried.

        "There is but it's not 100% effective, I know a doctor living in the high mountain parts of Fontaine." She showed you a map. "Just go west from here and she will be near this part, alright? Tell her I sent you." You nodded, taking the map and Midnight in his travel carrier with you. You've had midnight for two years and the two of you had a special connection, there wasn't anything you wouldn't do to save him.

You'd have to notify your employer but court proceedings and a trial would surely give you enough time to visit the doctor. You sent out letters explaining the situation decided you would go the next day. As you laid in bed that night, you couldn't help but think about what if Midnight were to die? 

 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆.。.:*╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯.⋆。⋆☂˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆.

hii next chapter next 4-7 days :) none of my chapters are proofread rlly btw