Prologue

Friday afternoon, nearly dawn, the sun is already setting as the moon is slowly rising up in the sky. Neuvillette had just finished his last trial session for this day. He heads straight towards his office to continue and finish five more cases, which will be on trial next week.

Exhaustion was clearly visible in his face, but after such a long time of doing the same thing over and over again every single day, exhaustion becomes nothing serious to him.

Another hour had past when he finally decided to take a short break. He put down his reading glasses and closed his eyes. Neuvillette massages his slightly throbbing temple and sighs before turning his swivel chair to face the huge glass window. Upon opening his eyes, he noticed the raindrops on his office's window. The rain is pouring a little hard. He then realized that it was 'that' time of the year. The season where he both likes and hates at the same time

Neuvillette watches the rain fall from the dark clouds for a minute or so, until he starts to crave something warm, like tea or coffee... So he decided to go out and buy some.

Though he didn't want to go outside, he had no choice. Everyone else had gone home, even his secretary, so he doesn't have anyone to favor. He brought an umbrella with him as he made his way outside the Palais Mermonia.

"Good evening, Monsieur Neuvillette; please be careful on your way." A member of the Special Security Surveillance Patrol greeted him.

Neuvillette, as he wasn't fond of talking too much, just nodded at the latter and continued to walk past him.

After a few walks, Neuvillette finally reaches one of the famous coffee shops in Fontaine, Cafè Lucerne.

"A wonderful evening, sir! - Oh, Monsieur Neuvillette!" Arouet, the manager, exclaimed. It's not his first time seeing Neuvillette, but because the latter is rarely seen, Arouet somehow felt highly rewarded.

"Wh-what would you like to have at this fin-ahm rainy day, Monsieur Neuvillette?" Arouet ask with a hint of nervousness and awkwardness in his voice.

Neuvillette cleared his throat first before looking at the menu board, "Everything seems delicious, yet can you tell me your cafe's best seller?" he asked.

"Oh ahm, we happen to have three best sellers here, Monsieur Neuvillette," Arouet started, "first is Ile flottante, the second one is Conch Madeleine, and the third one is Crepe Suzette."

"Hmm let me see, " Neuvillette shift his gaze from the three foods that Arouet suggested, "I guess I'll have Crepe Suzette, and a coffee, please." he said.

"Great choice, Monsieur! Please have a sit first, while I prepare your order." Arouet said. Neuvillette quickly oblige and find a fine seat. As he was walking to the fine seat he found, he suddenly stop on his tracks as he caught something on his peripheral vision. He turn his gaze into that something- or better, into someone.

His forehead creased upon seeing a kid sitting alone on one of the seat that this cafe offers.

He don't want to interfere, especially if this kid's parents were probably just around, but there's a part of him wanting to do so.

'Maybe I will just ask if she's okay?' Neuvillette said to himself, as he look back to the kid again.

'I hope she doesn't think of me as  a creep.'

He firmly grip on his umbrella, and he, then, sighed. He started to walk towards the direction of the kid, and as he was closer to her, Neuvillette's heart softens upon hearing the kid singing cutely.