Twelve

Wriothesley's

"Good day, Mr. Duke, sir!" 

"Good day!" I greeted back as I made my way to my office. Ah yes! After several days of going off work to spend time with my daughter and Neuvillette, I'm finally back with lots of energy to deal with these prisoners. 

"Oh, look, the Duke seems to be in a good mood." 

"Well, that's so unpredictable of him." 

I chuckled as I heard both familiarities with those voices. I turn around and see Maupoil and Galvaryet looking at me with a sheepish grin on their faces. They are two of the guards in Meropide that I trust the most.

"A nice day to the both of you," I said, not minding what they said. 

"Hi, Duke!" Maupoil greeted. 

"After leaving the Meropide for several days, you seem to be in a good mood today, huh? What makes you in your best mood today, sir?" Galvaryet asked, but I shrugged and chose not to answer her question. I'm not letting them know that Nuevillette is the reason they are too talkative to be secret keepers.

"Hmm, I wonder why," Maupoil said while he acts as if he's thinking, "Is it about little Sigewinne?" he added

"Or maybe it is about the Chief Justice, Monsieur Neuvillette," Galvaryet said as she looked at me. "Are you boyfriends already?" she excitedly asked. 

Geez, this woman sure knows everything around her. Or was it my fault because I told them about Neuvillette? 

I just chuckled and shrugged again. "Nah, I'm just happy, so go back to work!" I said as I continued to walk towards the door of my office. I open it and walk inside, but before I close it, I look at them first with a grin on my face. "Hey!" I called them.

"Forgot something, Duke?" Maupoil asked.

"I'll treat you both a delicious welfare meal and a cold booze later!" I answered, then finally closed the door. And even if I'm already inside, I can still hear the two of them gleefully talk.

"Yey! A delicious welfare meal!" Maupoil said. 

"Argh! I'm really positive that they are already boyfriends!" Galvaryet said. 

Hays! So nosy as ever!

*****

"Enjoying your afternoon tea?" My eyebrows arch as I see Clorinde standing on my office's door.

"Hey," I said. "Sit down and have some tea."

She nods and sits on the couch next to mine. She gets the extra tea cup and pours the newly brewed tea.

"I didn't expect you to be here today, I thought you were still off-work," she said as she sipped on her tea.

I smirk, "Well, Sigewinne has school today, and Neuvillette needs to go back to work, so I don't have any other choice but to make myself busy too."  I said.

"Hmm," she hummed quietly.

I feel like there's something wrong with her because she's not in her mood to tease me or anything.

"What's up? Ms. Blondie turned you down?" I asked with a little bit of tease, but she remained silent.

Which is so unusual of her, and it made me wonder why? What's the reason?

"Hey Clors, is everything fine? Did I offend you in anyway? Did I do something? Are you really that broken-hearted?"

"Your so-called wife dropped by a few days ago, Wriothesley."  She said with a serious tone, which made my eyes widen.