Chapter 3: A New Beginning

Bu Zian was quite efficient. In just one night, he tidied up the Xizhao Tower in the Fuxin Palace. Yue Xi only needed to stay in the accommodation provided by the Ministry of Internal Affairs for one night, and the maids would be assigned tomorrow as well.

When Yue Xi returned to her accommodation, she passed through a corridor where Aunt Fang had been waiting for her at the door. When Yue Xi saw her, she stopped and looked at Aunt Fang with a hint of guilt, not daring to say a word.

"Don't you have anything to tell me?" Aunt Fang was greatly disappointed with her.

"Aunt, I have nothing to say," Yue Xi walked into the accommodation with a heart of stone, and Aunt Fang followed her inside, questioning her.

"Yue Xi!" Aunt Fang shouted.

"Aunt, my actions have nothing to do with you. This is my own path, and I will bear the consequences myself," Yue Xi's eyes were devoid of emotion as she spoke in a cold tone.

"Fine, since you've made your decision, I won't stop you. Just remember, the palace is full of treacherous people. Take care of yourself," Aunt Fang said and prepared to leave, but Yue Xi stopped her.

"Do you know about the Empress executing a palace maid? That day, she was falsely accused of seeking personal gain and was beaten to death outside the palace gate. Her bones shattered, her flesh mangled, and the sharp bone fragments penetrated her lungs. Do you understand? Later, she was thrown into a mass grave to die. But when the news spread, everyone thought it was me who sought personal gain and deserved a cruel fate," Yue Xi spoke with a resentful tone.

"It was you?" Aunt Fang turned around, puzzled, but what she saw was a woman transformed into the appearance of a fox spirit, which startled Aunt Fang.

"I am that palace maid. At the moment of my imminent death, the fox spirit saved me. I am her, and she is me. We are now one, and I entered the palace to seek revenge," Yue Xi revealed her true form, leaving Aunt Fang speechless. It was not until Yue Xi returned to her original state that Aunt Fang said, "I understand. I will keep your secret."

And so, the night passed. As soon as Yue Xi got up, she heard a commotion outside. She heard someone calling her name at the door, so she curiously walked out and saw palace maids and servants waiting for her.

"By the Emperor's decree, the palace maid Zhao has exceptional appearance and virtue, deeply favored by the Emperor. She is appointed as an imperial maid and granted residence in the Fuxin Palace. This is an imperial edict!" Bu Zian came forward with the decree and read it aloud, inviting Yue Xi to the Fuxin Palace.

Guided by Bu Zian, Yue Xi arrived at the Xizhao Tower in the Fuxin Palace. The surroundings of the tower were beautiful, filled with flowers and plants. The interior was also clean and tidy, indicating that Bu Zian had assigned people to clean it. It was evident that the Emperor valued her. Inside the tower, Yue Xi saw three maids bowing to her. In the middle was Jin Yan, on the left was A Zhen, and on the right was Yi Er.

"Miss, these are the maids sent by the Ministry of Internal Affairs to serve you. Are you satisfied, Miss?" Bu Zian asked Yue Xi carefully.

"They are all good. However, I want Aunt Fang from the Ministry of Internal Affairs to serve as the head maid. Is that possible?" Yue Xi evaluated as she asked.

"Ah, that's not a problem. I will arrange it immediately," Bu Zian replied respectfully.

Recalling the day when the Emperor first met Yue Xi, Bu Zian could tell from her appearance that the Emperor intended to bring her into the harem and would surely favor her. Bu Zian had keen insight and naturally wouldn't refuse Yue Xi's request. Helping her would undoubtedly lead to better days.