Chapter 20: Talent Show

After a month, Yue Xi finally woke up under the care of Chu Xunshuang, although her movements were still not very convenient, and her speech was weak. Chu Xunshuang mentioned that Yue Xi's condition still needed a few more days of observation as she was still in the process of recovery.

Just a few days after Yue Xi woke up, Liu Qingqing came to visit her.
"Sister, you're finally awake!" Liu Qingqing hurriedly walked to Yue Xi's bedside and sat down.
"Qingqing... you're here," Yue Xi said hoarsely, her face still showing signs of fatigue.
Tears welled up in Liu Qingqing's eyes. "Yes, sister. How are you feeling now?"
Yue Xi closed her eyes slightly. "I'm very tired... but I'll recover quickly."
"That's good... sister, please rest well. Sister Ran has taken care of everything for you."
"Please thank her for me..."

Meanwhile, Su Wan went to the Imperial Hospital to find Chu Xunshuang.
"Doctor Chu..." Su Wan adjusted her attitude and approached Chu Xunshuang.
Chu Xunshuang noticed the change in her tone and responded politely, "How come Master Su is here?"
"Doctor Chu, can we talk in private?"
The two of them found a secluded place to speak. Su Wan reverted to her usual tone and asked, "Brother Chu, how is Yue Xi doing now?"
"She is still recovering, but there are no major issues."
"That... can she still conceive?"
"She can. However, Yue Xi is still in the process of recovery and it is not advisable for her to get pregnant."
"As long as she can still conceive, that's good..."
"I have some other matters to attend to, so I won't disturb you, Brother Chu..."
After saying that, Su Wan left. Chu Xunshuang couldn't help but notice that Su Wan's actions were becoming more composed and mature.

Su Wan returned to Fengtian Tower and saw the Empress kneeling in front of the Buddha statue, offering incense. Su Wan was curious and asked the people around her for information.
She learned that the Empress had been scolded by the Empress Dowager for mismanaging the harem, which resulted in Yue Xi losing her child. As a punishment, the Empress was ordered to kneel in front of the Buddha statue and pray for Yue Xi. She had been kneeling for six hours, and the Empress Dowager had also instructed that this matter should not be disclosed to anyone in the palace, as it would damage the royal family's reputation. Only the people in Fengtian Tower knew about it.

The Empress had been kneeling in front of the Buddha statue for four hours, and her knees were starting to weaken.
"Your Majesty... why don't you take a rest? The Empress Dowager... hasn't sent anyone to supervise us," Qinglan said worriedly.
"No, I cannot disobey the Empress Dowager's command. As the head of the harem, I cannot defy her orders. Besides, if my suffering can make the Emperor cherish and trust me, then this pain is worth it..." the Empress said determinedly.
Qinglan couldn't say anything more seeing her persistence, so she continued to kneel beside the Empress.

Su Wan observed this scene and pondered.

Back at Xizhao Tower, Wise Consort Ran came to chat with Yue Xi and Liu Qingqing.
"Speaking of which, it makes me angry. Graceful Consort Ming was the mastermind behind pushing my sister into the water, yet the Emperor didn't punish her severely. Instead, she was given a noble title and a lavish burial," Liu Qingqing said angrily.
"Graceful Consort Ming's father was a high-ranking military officer, Lin Changsheng, who had made significant contributions during the previous dynasty. The Emperor has to consider the past," Wise Consort Ran explained.
"Moreover, these matters... would damage the royal family's reputation. So, they must not be leaked," Yue Xi said calmly, showing no emotional response.
Liu Qingqing felt frustrated after hearing their explanations.
"Sister, don't be sad. Chu Xunshuang mentioned that you still have the chance to conceive. You will have children," Wise Consort Ran comforted Yue Xi, seeing her dejected expression.
"Thank you, sister," Yue Xi replied quietly.
Wise Consort Ran noticed her state and tactfully took leave with Liu Qingqing.