Chapter 13: The Tale of Demonic Spirits

At that moment, everyone's gaze was fixed on Yue Xi, leaving her momentarily unsure of what to do. Just then, the Empress Dowager broke the silence.

"Jaina Priestess, what just happened?" the Empress Dowager approached and asked.The priestess's eyes were locked onto Yue Xi, and she replied, "Your Majesty, just now the ritual was performed according to ancient customs, seeking blessings from the great deity. Recently, the Empress has been restless, and through the ritual, it was revealed that this woman possesses strong demonic energy." The priestess pointed at Yue Xi, firmly declaring her as a demon.

"Priestess, if you claim that Concubine is a demon, what kind of demon is she?" the Empress cautiously inquired.

Yue Xi understood from the Empress's expression that this was a scheme orchestrated by her. If it weren't for her, how could the priestess have come to such a conclusion?"When performing the ritual, I use a demon-expelling potion. If the flame turns golden yellow, it is an auspicious sign. However, if the flame turns purple-blue and burns fiercely, it signifies the presence of demonic energy within the palace. It could lead to people losing their lives or even the destruction of a nation. And she, the demonic consort, is the cause of calamity for the country and its people!" the priestess said vehemently.

Upon hearing the term "fox demon," Yue Xi's heart skipped a beat, but she didn't reveal anything on her face. However, her eyes started darting around. Soon, Yue Xi composed herself and began questioning the priestess.

"While the priestess's words may indicate the presence of demonic energy in the palace, how can the priestess be so certain that it is I, and not someone else, who is the fox demon?" Yue Xi raised an eyebrow, challenging the priestess, which made her lose some confidence.At this moment, doubts started to arise among the people regarding the priestess's words. The Empress began to feel dizzy and unstable, prompting Qing Lan, who was by her side, to anxiously support her, saying, "Be careful, Your Majesty!"

Yue Xi wondered what kind of demon she was being accused of being. At that moment, Qing Lan expressed her concerns, "Your Majesty has been restless recently. I've heard that after Yan Consort performed a dance at the Longevity Banquet, the Empress's illness worsened...""Qing Lan, stop talking nonsense!" the Empress reprimanded as soon as Qing Lan finished speaking.

Yue Xi's lips curled up slightly as she observed the Empress's performance. It was truly absurd."In that case, it seems that Yan Consort has offended the Empress," Noble Attendant An added.The Empress Dowager shook her head, observing the unfolding situation. However, her gaze fell upon Yue Xi. She had always known that Yue Xi was a palace maid, and based on her status, the Empress Dowager didn't hold much favor toward her. Therefore, she didn't speak up in her defense. Instead, she wanted to see how Yue Xi would handle this predicament. If she could resolve it, it would demonstrate her competence, but if she couldn't, it would be her misfortune.

"May I ask, Empress, if anything significant has happened recently?" the priestess asked the Empress, who was sitting on a chair.In response, Qing Lan timidly spoke, "According to Qing Lan's knowledge, the Fourth Prince passed away recently, and the consorts were also devastated. They died."The priestess nodded after hearing this and turned to report to the Empress Dowager.

"Empress Dowager, after my investigation, it is indeed true that these unfortunate events are related to Concubine Yan.""I remember that on the night when the Fourth Prince fell seriously ill, Concubine Yan was the last one to arrive. Once she arrived, the Fourth Prince passed away, and the consorts followed..." Noble Attendant An wiped away her tears as she spoke.