Chapter 10

The Empress left Noble Attendant An alone in the YingXin Tower. Noble Attendant An couldn't stop thinking about what the Empress had said. She walked to the wet nurse's room, where her child, especially the Third Prince, Yiya, was staying. The emperor had always favored the princes, and Yiya, being the child of a consort, was receiving special attention. With the birth of her child, the emperor's focus was now on her. Noble Attendant An couldn't help but feel uncomfortable about it.After a restless night, Concubine He  finally woke up, albeit still weak."My Lady, you've finally awakened?" Xiangyi, who was beside her, exclaimed excitedly."What about my child?" As soon as Concubine He woke up, she was concerned about her child, growing increasingly anxious."The Fourth Prince is sleeping. My Lady, there's no need to worry.""Congratulations, My Lady. The emperor recognizes your contribution in giving birth to a prince and has elevated your rank," Xiangyi happily congratulated Concubine He.Concubine He smiled triumphantly and gasped, "I also have a prince now... By the way, has the emperor given a name to the child?""The emperor hasn't decided yet. I believe he is considering the name for the Fourth Prince. He's still thinking about it.""That's good, that's good."Concubine He was weak, and after the emperor finished his morning court session, he went to visit her in her residence and helped name the Fourth Prince as 'Yunxiao.' The name quickly spread throughout the palaces.In the XiZhao Tower, Yuexi also learned about the name of the Fourth Prince. However, as she was a palace maid by birth, she didn't know the meaning of the name."Yunxiao? It sounds quite imposing. Does the name have any significance?" Yuexi paced back and forth in the room, asking Ru Xin."As a servant in the Ministry of Internal Affairs, I have learned some characters. 'Yun' represents the sky, and 'Xiao' means valiant. Perhaps the emperor hopes that the Fourth Prince will become a brave and skilled warrior," Ru Xin explained."The emperor values the Fourth Prince quite a bit.""Yes, when the Fourth Prince was born, his crying was the loudest. Perhaps that's why."Yuexi sighed and sat down on a stool, a hint of regret on her face."It's a pity that I come from a maid background and have limited literacy. It would be better if I knew a few more characters," Yuexi reproached herself."My Lady, don't worry. The Palace's Library has a collection of fifty thousand volumes. I've heard that even consorts can go there to study," Ah Zhen said, smiling.This answer gave Yuexi a glimmer of hope. She made up her mind to go and study, to learn a few more characters.Early the next morning, Yuexi went to the Imperial Library, took a few scrolls to read, and sought guidance from the palace's teachers on literacy. Yuexi was intelligent and quickly caught up with the teacher's guidance. She learned a few characters and received praise for her learning ability from the teacher.

Back at the Xi Zhao tower, Consort Ran quickly came to visit Yue Xi, and they exchanged greetings before sitting down."Why has the Consort come today?" Yue Xi asked politely."I came to congratulate my younger sister. The Emperor has finally summoned you to his bedchamber," Consort Ran replied, also being courteous.Yue Xi covered her mouth with a piece of fabric, pretending to smile, and then brought up the matter of Graceful Consort Ming."Sister, have you inquired about Gracfeful Consort Ming? I heard she was frightened," Yue Xi naturally didn't forget Consort Ran's instigation.Consort Ran motioned for someone to close the door and dismissed the other attendants, leaving only Lanxi and Ruyi by Yue Xi's side. It seemed they were about to discuss important matters."You naturally know, sister," Consort Ran said with a smile."Did you mix elm pollen with the butterfly?" Yue Xi went straight to the point now that everyone had left."Sister is wise. I merely gave it a push, and it was beneficial for you as well.""Why would you say that, sister?""Graceful Consort Ming is domineering. She used to be highly favored and suppressed the other concubines. With her in power, do the other concubines have a chance? Can you regain favor?""Is the Consort doing this for my sake or for yourself?" Yue Xi smiled and asked.Consort Ran didn't say anything, but she stood up and looked out the window, sighing."I come from a humble background. The Emperor chose me as a concubine only because of the late Emperor's arranged marriage. After entering the palace... I have always been treated poorly. Consort Ming used to make things difficult for me, treating me like a servant. Later, when my father was critically ill, Consort Ming stopped me from seeing him. I couldn't even see my father one last time... I could have saved him if she hadn't stopped me. My father wouldn't have died." Consort Ran cried as she spoke, her eyes filled with hatred and sadness. Yue Xi understood her motives and softened her attitude."Sister... If you have concerns, I won't pursue this further, and you don't have to worry about being implicated," Consort Ran turned around and looked at Yue Xi."Although I don't agree with your methods, I understand. Although Graceful Consort Ming's appearance has greatly diminished, she must have become more restrained. It is also beneficial for us," Yue Xi said, lowering her head.Yue Xi also softened her attitude and accepted Consort Ran. The two of them returned to their cooperative relationship.In the evening, Jun Han Cheng came to the XiZhao Tower to see Yue Xi. He saw Yue Xi holding ancient books and reading the words inside."I wish the Emperor peace," Yue Xi said when she saw Jun Han Cheng put down the book and bowed."Why are you interested in reading books now?" Jun Han Cheng raised an eyebrow and asked, picking up the book Yue Xi was reading."It's not a particularly special book, just some folk stories. They teach me the principles of being a better person," Yue Xi said with a smile as she sat on the couch with Jun Han Cheng.Jun Han Cheng looked at the book in his hand and curiously said, "The 'Collection of Su Xin's Melodies'? Why are you reading a book by Yuan Panqiu?""I know my knowledge is shallow, but I want to learn some characters to show that I'm not so superficial," Yue Xi started to act coquettishly."Now that you've read it, let me test you. What is this book about?""This book is written in the form of ancient fables, aiming to convey the qualities of magnanimity and broad-mindedness in women. It depicts a woman named Yuying who is highly respected by the villagers for her intelligence and wisdom.Yuying was beautiful and talented in her youth, but she was arrogant and often compared herself to others, striving to win and feeling jealous. To guide her to change this mentality, she received enlightenment from a wise person. The wise person told her a fable about a proud bird in the forest who considered itself noble but was always envious of the beauty of other birds and fought with them. However, when a small bee flew into the bamboo forest, the other birds welcomed it and interacted with it, while the proud bird isolated itself on a branch, ignored by others.

The fable deeply touched Yuying, and she realized the importance of changing her mindset. She decided to be tolerant towards others and to share her talents and beauty with joy. She understood that it was better to share strengths and beauty with others rather than envy them. From that moment on, Yuying's heart opened up, and she enjoyed being with others, generously sharing her talents. Her beauty was no longer a tool for competition but a source of joy to be shared with others," Yue Xi said earnestly.

"Hmm, not bad. This book should be shared with the imperial consorts to bring peace to the harem," Jun Han Cheng said contentedly."Your Majesty, I also think so," Yue Xi approached Jun Han Cheng, but unexpectedly, he pulled her closer to his side, and Yue Xi sat on Jun Han Cheng's lap."I haven't seen you for a few days, and you've become even more obedient," Jun Han Cheng teased, and Yue Xi blushed and laughed. Soon, they slept together.Several tens of days later, Yue Xi learned that the Emperor's Longevity Banquet would be held next month, and the palace was already preparing for it, including dancers, singers, and more. Yue Xi naturally didn't miss this opportunity to gain favor, so she quickly went to the Tai Le Palace to make preparations.Meanwhile, in the WangYau Palace...Noble Attendant An went to the Imperial Garden and called a chef, giving him some instructions before sending him away. Shortly after, Consort Angui started frequenting the Imperial Hospital, which was noticed by Jin Yan, who was by Yue Xi's side."My Lady, I've noticed that Noble Attendant An has been visiting the Imperial Hospital frequently lately," Jin Yan approached Yue Xi and said."Do you know what's going on?" Yue Xi asked while dancing."I haven't been able to gather much information yet. It might be related to her health," Jin Yan said apologetically.Yue Xi stopped her movements and said, "If we can't find out anything and it seems suspicious, let it be. But keep an eye on her for me." Yue Xi was sweating from her dance practice as she sipped tea and spoke.

Author's note:The mention of the imperial princes is to familiarize everyone with the different princes.Crown Prince - Qianche, born to Consort Fanghua (deceased)Second Prince - Morao, born to Consort Fanghua (deceased)Third Prince - Yiya, born to Consort AnguiFourth Prince - Yunxiao, born to Consort HeEldest Princess - Xuqian, born to Consort AnguiSecond Princess - Wangshu, born to Consort Angui