Chapter 16: Liu Qing Qing

In the following days, Su Wan often visited the Xi Zhao Tower, which made Yue Xi occasionally worried that she might violate the palace rules. She advised Su Wan to visit the Feng Tian Tower instead, but Su Wan was mischievous and didn't listen."Su Wan, you really don't have to come here. If you have time, I'll go to the Feng Tian Tower to see you," Yue Xi said."Even so, Su Wan still worries about you," Su Wan replied."Oh, I'm not a child, but you still act like one. I promise I will come here whenever I have time. Now go back quickly while you can," Yue Xi urged.Seeing her helpless expression, Su Wan cutely stuck out her tongue and used her light skills to fly back to the Feng Tian Tower.

The next day, dressed as a palace maid, Su Wan walked into the Xi Zhao Tower. Yue Xi had no choice but to let her stay for a while before asking her to leave. The two chatted about recent daily life and then Su Wan left the Xi Zhao Tower. As Su Wan was leaving, she saw Chu Xunshuang coming to the Xi Zhao Tower with a toolbox, which made her very excited."Brother Chu!" Su Wan ran up to him, calling out with excitement."Little sister Wan?" Chu Xunshuang was surprised but quickly regained his composure."Brother Chu, Su Wan missed you so much!" Su Wan said, then hugged Chu Xunshuang. Chu Xunshuang was caught off guard and pushed Su Wan away."Little sister Wan, behave yourself. This is the palace," Chu Xunshuang said cautiously."Brother Chu... I'm sorry for being impulsive just now, but Brother Chu, I really miss you," Su Wan continued expressing her strong affection, but it only pushed Chu Xunshuang further away."Little sister Wan, I understand your feelings, but reminiscing at this time might cause trouble if someone sees. I still need to check on Concubine Yan. I'll take my leave first," Chu Xunshuang said, passing by Su Wan."Brother Xunshuang..." Su Wan's face was filled with disappointment, but she didn't try to stop Chu Xunshuang. She stood still and watched him enter Yue Xi's residence in the Xi Zhao Tower.Yue Xi was still sitting in the Xi Zhao Tower, reading a book. When Chu Xunshuang entered, Yue Xi put down the book and looked at him."Saw Su Wan?" Yue Xi pursed her lips.Chu Xunshuang gave a bitter smile, put down the toolbox, and began checking Yue Xi's pulse."Su Wan may be mischievous, but she is a good girl and has a unique affection for you. You should consider her," Yue Xi said reluctantly."I already have someone I like, and you knows about it," Chu Xunshuang replied."But her heart is elsewhere... Stop dwelling on the past... alright?" Yue Xi said."Your fetal aura is calm. Just rest well. I'll go back and prepare safe pregnancy medicine for you. I'll take my leave," Chu Xunshuang interrupted Yue Xi's words stubbornly and left.Yue Xi could only sigh and let it be.

The next day, the Empress Dowager received the daughter of the Liu family in the palace. However, Jun Han Cheng, out of fear of the Liu family's influence in the court, did not go to pay his respects to the Empress Dowager. Jun Han Cheng naturally knew what the Empress Dowager's intention was - she wanted him to take Liu Shi into the palace to serve him.In the Jianzhang Palace, Liu Qingqing wore a light purple-blue outfit and had a few branches of purple-blue bellflowers pinned to her hair, giving her an elegant and clean demeanor. She greeted the Empress Dowager respectfully, saying, "Your Majesty, I wish you ten thousand blessings. May Your Majesty be in perfect health.""Good child... Let me have a look at you," the Empress Dowager gestured for her attendant to help her up and brought her to her side."These years, your father hasn't mistreated you, has he?" The Empress Dowager shed tears of joy, showing her concern for the person in front of her."Your Majesty... I am well. My father has treated me well," Liu Qingqing replied."That's good... That's good."

Liu Qingqing was the daughter of the Empress Dowager's friend, Lady Wu. Lady Wu used to be the Empress Dowager's childhood playmate, but they had little contact after the Empress Dowager was chosen by the late Emperor during the selection process. They occasionally exchanged letters, but meeting in the palace was not possible. Later, the Empress Dowager learned that Lady Wu had a child and sent people to take care of them. Unfortunately, Lady Wu suffered a major blow to her health after giving birth and passed away not long after. The Empress Dowager was deeply saddened at the time and promised to take good care of Lady Wu's daughter. However, Lady Wu's husband, Liu Ying, mistreated both mother and daughter. The Empress Dowager was displeased with him for a long time, but the Liu family had rendered great service to the late Emperor and the current Emperor in pacifying the barbarians, making it difficult for Jun Han Cheng to deal with them. The Empress Dowager had always hoped to personally take care of Qingqing, but there was only one way: to have the Emperor take her as a concubine. However, the Emperor stubbornly refused, leaving the Empress Dowager helpless.