Chapter 19: Numerous Doubts

After several days of meticulous care from Chu Xunshuang, Yue Xi's condition showed slight improvement, which surprised the people at the imperial medical hospital, considering it a miracle. Everyone believed that Concubine Yan was near death, so the medical hospital had essentially given up on saving her. After all, miscarriages greatly damage the mother's body, and coupled with the drowning incident, the chances of survival were extremely slim. Even Chief Physician Xu shook his head at Yue Xi's condition. However, Chu Xunshuang managed to pull Yue Xi back from the brink of death, which even the medical hospital found hard to believe. Although Yue Xi was saved, she still needed time to rest and recover before regaining consciousness.Jun Han Cheng was aware of the general situation and, considering Yue Xi had carried the imperial heir, he granted her the title of Noble Lady Yan.

Upon hearing that Yue Xi still had a chance of survival, Fengyi Palace became restless, wanting to eliminate her as soon as possible. Unfortunately, Wise Consort Ran had requested Jun Han Cheng to handle everything in order to save Yue Xi. She forbade anyone else from interfering, leaving the Empress helpless for the time being."Empress, don't worry. Although Yue Xi has survived this time, we still have opportunities," Lady Shun comforted the Empress."I'm afraid she will rise again to challenge me. Do you have any ideas?" the Empress asked."... I'm incapable. His Majesty has already commanded that Wise Consort Ran manages everything, including clothing, meals, and everything else. The palace maids serving Yan Ronghua are closely monitored. It's difficult for me to intervene," Consort Shungui explained."I underestimated Ruo Xianfei. I thought she had a good relationship with that wretched woman," the Empress remarked."Wise Consort Ran used to be quiet, but now she stands on Noble Lady Yan's side. It seems their influence will grow," Shun said."You're right. The two of us alone are not enough. I need some new people..." the Empress pondered."Are you suggesting a selection of concubines?" Shun asked."The selection is still a few months away. I'm only suggesting an early selection," the Empress replied."But His Majesty was dissatisfied with the previous incident, and he might..." Shun expressed concern."No matter. Although His Majesty has been suspicious of me, I have been behaving obediently lately, and his attitude towards me has softened. I have to try," the Empress assured."You have thought it through, Your Majesty..."Inside the Taihe Hall, Chu Xunshuang had something to report, so Jun Han Cheng allowed him to enter and discuss Yue Xi's condition."How is Yan Ronghua?" Jun Han Cheng asked with concern."Your Majesty, after examining Noble Lady's pulse, I found traces of musk on her body," Chu Xunshuang said solemnly, his gaze filled with distress."Musk? What's the meaning of this?" Jun Han Cheng asked, deep in thought."After examining her pulse, it seems that Noble Lady Yan has traces of musk, although the amount is not enough to cause a miscarriage. However, it has weakened her body," Chu Xunshuang explained."Where did this scent come from?""Your Majesty, I remember that the Imperial Palace has been providing incense to Graceful Consort  to calm her mind. Perhaps it's related," Bu Zi'an, who stood beside Jun Han Cheng, interjected."Investigate. We must get to the bottom of this!" Jun Han Cheng commanded."Your Majesty, the Empress has arrived," a eunuch who delivered the message entered. "Let her in..."

Soon, Bu Zi'an began interrogating people in the imperial court and sent someone to examine the calming incense used by Graceful Consort. However, the imperial medical hospital reported no traces of musk, so they hadn't discovered anything yet.

At this time, Su Wan went to visit Yue Xi and encountered Chu Xunshuang on the way."Brother Chu! How is Sister doing?" Su Wan asked, her face filled with worry."Noble Lady Yan's body is recovering, but it will take some time before she wakes up," Chu Xunshuang quickly reassured her."I see... Brother Chu, where are you heading now?""The Emperor ordered an investigation into Graceful Consort Ming's calming incense. I'm going there now. Take care, sister."After Chu Xunshuang finished speaking, he hurriedly went to handle matters in Yaoqing Palace, leaving Su Wan alone. She listened attentively to every word Chu Xunshuang said."I can't leave any evidence... Zhu'er..." Su Wan muttered to herself and went to see Graceful Consort Ming's maid, Zhu'er.