Chapter 12: Unknown Fear

Early in the morning, Consort Ran went to the Xizhao Tower to visit YueXi."Congratulations on your promotion to the rank of Concubine," Consort Ran said with a smile."I must thank you, Sister, for keeping it a secret. It allowed me to shine in front of the Emperor," Yuexi replied politely."Sister, do you have time to accompany me to enjoy the flowers today?" Consort Ran asked."If you suggest it, I would be delighted," Yuexi replied. YueXi and Consort Ran walked towards the Qingyu Terrace and saw Imperial Concubine Xu and Concubine Yuan sitting under the pavilion, eating snacks and chatting. Soon, Imperial Concubine Xu  noticed Consort Ran and YueXi."The concubines pay their respects to Consort Ran," Imperial Concubine Xu and Concubine Yuan both bowed."Please rise. Why are Imperial Concubine Xu and Concubine Yuan  here?" Consort Ran asked."We are just chatting here, Consort. If you and Concubine Yan are interested, you can join us," Xu said willingly.Consort Ran and YueXi did not decline and sat down together, engaging in conversation. 

Although they sat together, the atmosphere became awkward. YueXi broke the silence, saying, "I heard that the Empress's health is deteriorating lately. Sisters, have you heard anything?""Ah, I heard that an evil spirit has been haunting the Empress, causing her sleepless nights," Xu said with undisguised joy."That's right. I inquired at the Imperial Household Department, and they said that when the Empress wanted to pray for the country's blessings in the harem, she invited exorcists," Yuan chimed in."Why would the Empress, who was perfectly fine, be haunted by an evil spirit?" Consort Ran asked."Perhaps it's because she has done many wicked deeds and brought trouble upon herself. Otherwise, why would the evil spirit cling to her?" Xu said disdainfully. YueXi covered her mouth with a handkerchief, paying attention to their conversation, hoping to uncover any vulnerabilities of the Empress. Apart from the information from the day of the prayer, there was nothing substantial. 

Afterward, Consort Ran and YueXi returned to the palace together."Sister, what's wrong? Did something come to your mind?" Consort Ran asked with concern."Nothing is troubling me. I'm just curious why Xu Jieyu and Yuan Consort seem to dislike the Empress," Consort Yue revealed that she had noticed their attitude towards the Empress earlier."Sister, you're unaware of it. Before the Emperor ascended the throne, Imperial Concubine Xu became pregnant. However, around the eighth month, she unfortunately suffered a miscarriage. Imperial Concubine Xu has always believed that it was caused by the Empress, harboring resentment towards her. It seems that it's been a long-standing feud between the Empress and her. As for Concubine Yuan, she and Imperail Concubine Xu are like sisters and have also become displeased with the Empress," Consort Ran explained as they walked.YueXi remained silent and returned to the Xizhao Tower, sitting on the couch and supporting her head with her hand."What's wrong, Miss? Is something the matter?" Ru Xin asked."The Empress has been troubled by an evil spirit recently, and I feel a vague sense of fear," YueXi said, covering her chest."Please don't worry too much, Miss. I'll call the imperial physician to examine you," Ru Xin suggested.YueXi didn't refuse. She had been feeling unwell since early in the morning, with signs of nausea. When Chu Xunshuang came to take her pulse, he looked at Consort Yue with a shocked and disappointed expression."This..." Chu Xunshuang said, shocked."Physician Chu, what's wrong with Miss?" Ru Xin noticed his unusual behavior and asked anxiously."Congratulations... Miss, you are with child," Chu Xunshuang said softly."What? With child? Congratulations, Miss!" Ru Xin knelt down to congratulate YueXi.Although she was pregnant, Consort Yue didn't feel particularly happy. She looked at Chu Xunshuang's expression and felt uneasy. However, she still said, "Thank you, Physician Chu... Please don't mention it to anyone.""Why, Miss?" Ru Xin asked.

"At this moment, it is untimely. I have just been conferred the position of concubine, and I have already incurred resentment. If this news spreads further, I would have lost my life long ago," Yue Xi frowned and said.

"You have thought it through, Miss."

"Chu Court Physician... Do not inform the Emperor. Just tell him that I have recently contracted a cold and it is not suitable for intimate relations."

In the evening, distressing news came from Qing Zhi Xuan, stating that the Fourth Prince had suddenly fallen ill. Currently, the imperial physician was doing everything possible to save him, and the imperial concubine herself had also fallen ill due to the condition of her child.In Xi Zhao Lou, Yue Xi quickly received this distressing news, which greatly shocked her. She immediately rushed to Qing Zhi Xuan in the Wang You Palace to check on the condition of the imperial concubine and the Fourth Prince. The scene in Qing Zhi Xuan was chaotic, with people coming and going.Upon entering Qing Zhi Xuan, she saw the Empress, Consort Ran, Noble Attendant An, Imperial Concubine Xu, Concubine Yuan, Lady Jia, and other concubines guarding the place. Jun Han Cheng was sitting in the main hall, with obvious signs of annoyance and worry on his face."May Your Majesty be safe," Yue Xi bowed and took a seat in the main hall, waiting for the outcome.Not long after, news of the Fourth Prince's collapse spread, greatly shocking Jun Han Cheng, who almost lost his balance."Your Majesty!" The Empress supported Jun Han Cheng and said worriedly."Your Majesty, please forgive this humble servant's incompetence. The Fourth Prince was born weak, and now that winter has arrived, he ate extremely cold food, worsening his condition... I only found out later," Court Physician Xu knelt down and pleaded, explaining the reasons."How did the Fourth Prince end up eating cold food? Isn't the Imperial Kitchen careful enough?" the Empress accused."Investigate! Find out and punish the responsible party!" Jun Han Cheng angrily shouted.Soon, Bu Zi'an went to the Imperial Kitchen with his men, but they couldn't find anyone immediately."Your Majesty, calm down... It's not good for your health," the Empress tried to appease Jun Han Cheng.Yue Xi sat on the side, also shocked by the situation. Soon, cries of the Concubine He calling out her child's name could be heard from another room, their voices filled with sorrow."Yun Xiao!" the Concubine He lay on the bed, crying and shouting, creating a scene of great despair.Jun Han Cheng also walked over to comfort the Concubine He, but as she cried, blood spilled from her mouth. Her eyes closed tightly, and she died like that.In one night, two lives were lost, making the palace even more silent and terrifying.

By morning, Yue Xi had already returned to Xi Zhao Lou, feeling extremely fearful."Have a cup of tea, Miss...""I have never been this scared before. Tell me, who is responsible for the death of the Fourth Prince?""I don't know, we have to wait for His Majesty to find the mastermind before we can reach a conclusion," Ru Xin said worriedly."Ru Xin, go find Court Physician Chu. I have something to ask him," Yue Xi remembered something and instructed Ru Xin to go to the physician's hospital.

Bu Zi'an's efficiency was remarkable. They quickly found a corpse in the pond of the Imperial Garden, confirming that it was the chef from the Imperial Kitchen and believed to be related to the Concubine He's child. Unfortunately, the person who instructed him couldn't be found at the moment, as he was already dead. 

In Ying Xin Yuan. Noble Attendant An paced around in fear."Haitang, I feel uneasy in my heart.""Miss, nothing will happen to you. The matter with the little chef has been taken care of..." Haitang reassured Noble Attendant He."I hope so."

Ten days passed, and it was time for the Six Palaces to pray for blessings. Each palace followed the rules and came to Feng Tian Tower for the ceremony. Even the Empress Dowager was present, and at this moment, the ceremonial priest arrived to conduct the rituals for the palace.However, after the priest chanted a few spells, her bowl burst into flames, causing everyone present to scream in fright."There's an evil spirit!" the female priest shouted and quickly extinguished the fire."What is the priest saying?" the Empress asked fearfully."Recently, evil spirits have been haunting the Empress, and it is a monster residing in this palace. The monster is her!" the female priest pointed at Yue Xi.This caught Yue Xi off guard, and for a moment, everyone present turned their gazetowards her.