Chapter 10: O'Neil Family Reunion

April pours tea into cups for both her and her mom, whom sits on one of the chairs in the living room. She doesn't even try to look comfortable with the situation, refusing to look at any of the teenagers in the eye. The turtles peek at her in complete synchronization, Michelangelo waving and smiling at her when she notices them. She shudders and looks away, curling into the couch.

"Here you go, mom," April says, handing her a cup of tea. "Just relax."

"Thank you, April. I'm still a little shaky," Mrs. O'Neil apologizes, taking a hesitant sip.

Diaval rises from his seat and moves to her, staring at her intensely. She notices him staring and cringes, her hand starting to tremble so much that the tea splashes over the lip of the cup.

"Want spice?" he asks, holding a container of chilli flakes out to the woman. She flinches back when he moves his hand, shaking her head rapidly.

"Diaval, back off. You're scaring her," Donatello scolds, batting at the boy with rapid hand gestures. Diaval's pupils dilate and he scrambles back to his armchair, nearly tripping into it as he obeys the turtle's wishes.

Mrs. O'Neil sighs and stares into the teacup, examining her own reflection. "I...I know this is hard to believe," she says, slowly looking up at April, "but the Kraang ship has been here for years. It was your great-grandfather who discovered it. He made the mistake of awakening the Kraang." Her lip twists with malcontent and her fingertips tighten on the handle of her cup. The observing teens start to settle in and listen to the story, nobody questioning why the woman feels the sudden urge to share her tale of woe. "They paid him back by experimenting on him...and his entire bloodline. They knew we were the key to unlocking their precious mutagen. We were their guinea pigs."

"Aw! Guinea pigs are so cute," Michelangelo interrupts, grinning widely as he clasps his hands together.

"I told you not to be stupid, you moron," Raphael snaps, flicking the orange-masked turtle's nose.

"Ow!"

Mrs. O'Neil continues, still directing her words towards her cup, "After you were born, it was clear that you were very special. We knew it was only a matter of time before the Kraang came for you. We escaped. Kirby fled with you to the city. I was recaptured and put into stasis."

She finally looks to the eight teenagers gathered around her, most of them sipping tea as they listen to the story with interest. Diaval stays in a rhythm of shaking in chilli flakes, stirring, sipping, then repeating if the need be.

"All these years, I never knew what happened to you," April says. "I never knew what to think. Dad would never tell me."

"Now you know, and now we never have to be apart again," Mrs. O'Neil encourages, grasping her daughter's hands as they get to their feet. She looks around and frowns. "Where is Kirby, anyway?"

Casey gulps down some of his tea. "Kirby?" he clarifies. "Oh, he got turned into a wicked Kraang-headed mutant!"

"New York got invaded. Kraang all over," Diaval seconds.

Destiny smacks her forehead while Raphael punches Casey's arm, spilling some of his drink. The hockey player rubs his arm and grimaces.

"You had to pull a Mikey, didn't you?" the red-clad turtle asks, shooting a quick glare to Diaval.

"Ha ha! You pulled a Mikey!" Michelangelo teases, pointing at Casey and waggling his finger. His smile falls as he thinks over what he just said.