Chapter 51: The Noxious Avenger

Destiny lets out a soft groan as her eyelids open, a bright light shining in her face and blocking out everything around her. She lifts her hand and shields the invasive light away. Her head is pounding and her limbs feel far too heavy.

"Des? Destiny, are you okay?" Leonardo's voice echoes in her muted ears.

"Destiny?" Donatello asks. "It's okay. Tap your pointer finger once if you can hear me."

She taps her finger and she hears a faint breath of relief. She blinks a few more times as the light disappears and her vision finally clears, showing each of the turtles, Casey, Diaval, and Splinter standing around her. She moans again, placing a hand on her forehead.

"What...did...did I pass out?" she asks as someone that she still can't make out gently helps her into a sitting position. She takes a brief moment to confirm that she's definitely in Donatello's lab and not anywhere else, serving to calm her just a little bit more.

"You had a panic attack," Donatello responds. His expression crumples with guilt and he rests his hand against her knee. "I...I'm sorry, Des. I should've given you a warning. I thought—"

"They're n-never that bad," Destiny whispers, covering her face with her hands. "T-This...hah..." She coughs.

"You really scared us, dudette," Michelangelo whispers.

"S-Shredder...he's m-making another s-serum?" she asks through her fingers, her voice soft and terrified.

The brothers look at each other. A strong pair of arms surrounds Destiny and she finally takes notice that it's Leonardo holding her up and keeping her so steady. She leans against his chest and wraps her hand around his wrist, shutting her eyes and focusing on the sound of his rather rapid heartbeat. He's just as scared as she is, or so it appears.

"He...he is," Donatello answers gently. "But—"

"Not gonna let it happen," Diaval's rough voice cuts in. Destiny's eyes snap open and they're instantly on her pale friend. His face is a mask of minimally seen rage and his jaw is pulled taut. "Nothin's gonna happen t'you. Won't let it."

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Raphael says, "but Diaval's right. Shredder isn't going to get his hands on either of you."

She doesn't respond, staying completely attentive for just long enough to see the surprise that flits across Diaval's face before she buries her face against Leonardo's plastron, tears starting to trickle down her cheeks. The blue-masked turtle's hand tightens against the small of her back.

Splinter's soothing voice enters the conversation for the first time. "Perhaps Destiny should stay back from the patrol today. She can rest, regain control and calm herself," he suggests.

"I'll stay back," Leonardo offers without a moment of hesitation.

"You can't, Leo. We need you," Raphael argues.

Donatello sighs. "We need all turtles in on this. We've got to stakeout, watch for the next step in the plan and stop it..."

"Diaval will stay with her," Michelangelo says. "Right, dude?"

"Mhm," Diaval agrees. Leonardo opens his mouth to argue, but then shuts it again as Destiny takes a deep breath as she presses herself impossibly closer to him, her fingers curling around his chest strap the way a child clings to their favourite blanket or stuffed toy.