Chapter 11: Mom No More

April walks out of the farmhouse, finding her mother standing outside despite the darkness of the night. The woman stares out at the horizon, silent and contemplative of what's happened in the past day or two.

"Mom, are you okay?" April asks as she wanders to her side.

"I was just thinking about when we'd picnic in the woods by the stream," Mrs. O'Neil says, that light, dreamy, and casual tone back in her voice.

"Those are some of my favourite memories," April admits with a smile.

The two hug, yet another one of many that they've shared in the past little while. Mrs. O'Neil's smile falls. "We should go somewhere, just the two of us," she suggests. "Just drive off, leave these creatures behind." Her pupils dilate and her head darts back to the house, making her blonde hair sway around her face. "I don't trust them!"

April's mouth falls open and she steps back from her mother. "I...I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"They're like family," the redhead says, wrapping her arms around herself as she swallows. "They've always been there for me."

"I'm your mother, your family, not them." Mrs. O'Neil's lip curls and she jabs an accusing finger towards the house, as if to every mutant inside the house as well. "They're just a bunch of freaks!"

Mrs. O'Neil shakes her head and brushes past April, leaving the redhead feeling shocked, hurt, and very conflicted.

----------

"No one gets me," Michelangelo sighs as he sits at the kitchen table. There's a bowl resting before him, just at his eye level. "No one but you." Ice Cream Kitty emerges from her bowl, meowing happily as her neapolitan paws wave and bounce. "Aww! See? You're just so cute, I could eat you up." He grins and leans closer to her, brushing their noses together. "Om nom nom nom nom!" he teases.

He takes the can of whipped cream in his hand and sprays a nice sized dollop onto her head, dropping a cherry on top of the pile. She meows again, her tiny black eyes gazing up at Michelangelo with much affection.

"Diaval, I think you're being paranoid," Destiny's voice sounds from outside the kitchen.

The sound of two pairs of footsteps coming down the stairs reach Michelangelo's ears. One set is heavy and loud, occasionally breaking a steady rhythm as the owner stumbles. The second set is a lot more careful, albeit harried.

"Her desire's all off. Don't get it," Diaval's low voice comes in next. There's a heavy thud as he reaches the main floor. "Need to get it."

"Diaval, leave her alone. The guys are already worried enough about Mikey messing things up," she scolds. There's no response from her friend. She exhales heavily, annoyed. "I'm going upstairs to read. You should have some tea and try to relax."

The steadier set of footsteps recedes back up the stairs. Diaval enters the kitchen, stopping short when he sees Michelangelo. The turtle stares back at him and they maintain eye contact for a solid three seconds.

"You don't like mom either, huh?" Michelangelo asks, turning back to his pet.

Diaval nods, shuffling closer to him. "Gives off...bad feeling."