Chapter 68: Not Our Time

Leonardo groans. There's a dull ringing in his ears that mingles with the distant rumbling of thunder. His sapphire eyes flicker open just a flash of lightning splits across the sky in a brilliant flash, tag-teaming with the steady rain. He gasps and lurches upwards, eyes wide.

He's in an abandoned alleyway, the raindrops pattering against the pavement and his shell steadily. He's back in New York, there's no doubt about it, and that makes him relax slightly as he gets to his feet. He creeps to the edge of the alley and peers out. Behind him, there's a round of grumbles and moans.

"Ow...what hit me?" Raphael mutters.

Leonardo turns, opening his mouth to speak, but he freezes when he counts only three turtles. "Uh...where's Destiny? Where's Renet and Diaval?" he asks, his voice gaining an edge. "Most importantly, where's Destiny?!"

The turtles look around, their eyes getting just as wide as those of their leader's as they huddle together beneath the overhang of the alleyway. Michelangelo dashes over to the nearest dumpster and hoists the lid open. He looks inside and lets out a pained groan when he sees no one inside.

"Dudes, I think we lost Destiny," he whimpers.

Raphael rolls his eyes and prepares a snappy comment, but a sudden and very loud crash of thunder makes him squeak and smack into Donatello. Leonardo glances out at their surroundings yet again, heart pounding.

"I...I don't understand," he says. "This is New York, but...I don't know. This feels...off."

Donatello scoots up behind him, narrowing his eyes as he surveys the rainy streets. After a little while, he shrugs and ducks back into the minimal shelter of the alley.

"Well?" Raphael presses.

"I have no idea what's going on," Donatello responds.

The other three groan in disappointment. Leonardo pinches the bridge of his nose, tapping his foot enough to make the puddles near him splash. "Okay, uh, maybe Des went to the lair...because we were knocked out for some reason," he mutters. "Diaval and her couldn't take us all at once. Renet had to go home, so...they're gonna come back."

"I...guess that makes sense?" Michelangelo says.

Leonardo flings his hands up in exasperation. "I don't know! Let's just go home, dry off, explain our problem to Master Splinter, and go from there."

"Yes, our problem," Raphael mutters. "Hey Sensei! We just went time travelling with a chick from the future, and now we lost Destiny and Diaval! By the way, we witnessed Tang Shen's death and saved your life sixteen years ago!" he mocks, his voice getting louder and louder with every word.

"Raph, enough!" Donatello says. "Leo's right. We need to regain our bearings before tackling this. I say yes to going home."

"Same here," Michelangelo whines as he rubs his arms repeatedly. "I'm freezing my shell off."

The turtles head for the nearest manhole cover, shove it open, and sneak inside. They race down the tunnels at a steady sprint, each one hoping that the lair will bring them some comfort and clarity to their frazzled minds.

However, as they near their home, little voices echo in their ears. They freeze. Multiple sets of eyes narrow.

"Someone's in the lair," Leonardo hisses.

"What do we do?" Donatello asks.

Raphael lifts his fist. "Go in and kick their shells," he answers.

"Offer them pizza in return for leaving and forgetting we exist?" Michelangelo suggests.