Chapter 26: Return of the Master

Diaval still isn't quite sure how he ended up in the woods, wandering along behind four turtles who hate his guts, with a backpack full of supplies on his shoulder. Leonardo walks ahead of the group, his face set with confidence.

"We've mastered our weapons, stealth, and hand-to-hand combat, but we haven't achieved the very first of the eighteen ninjutsu disciplines," he says. "The seishin syuyou, or 'spiritual refinement.' All true ninjas must master it."

"Hey, who says we're not spiritually refine—" Michelangelo burps loudly, making the other turtles spin to face him. "—ed." He clears his throat and taps his chest. "Whoa. Heh. Must have been—"

He belches again, staring ahead completely wide-eyed. Before he can say another word, Diaval's foot catches on a root and he faceplants. All four turtles glance at one another, then at the cloaked boy as he stumbles to his feet and brushes himself off without a word.

"Okay, you win," Michelangelo says with a shrug. "Let's get refined."

----------

Night falls, much like Diaval down flights of stairs. The farmhouse is quiet and every window is dark save for one, where there's the dim glow of a lamp shining within. Destiny kneels over her Space Heroes backpack, tucking away supplies as silently as possible.

She pulls the zipper shut and stands, hoisting the bag onto her shoulder. She shuts off the lamp and heads into the hallway, stealing down the stairs in full stealth mode. She reaches for the doorknob, the taste of adventure crowding her senses, and a groggy mumble of a voice freezes her in place.

"Wolfie? Where're you going?"

She looks up the stairs to where Casey stands at the height of it, rubbing his eyes as a yawn stretches his face. He's definitely just woken up, if the mussed look of his hair, the wrinkled t-shirt, and boxers are any indication to such.

Destiny purses her lips and shifts in place. "I'm just...going out," she says.

"Uh huh," Casey sighs. "Going out on that journey with the others?"

Her face flushes with colour and she crosses her arms over her chest, the zipper of her jacket jingling softly in the air. Casey starts down the stairs, his sleepiness still not enough to mask the teasing smile on his face.

"I know I said I'd wait," she says as the boy reaches her. "I thought I'd be fine, but..." She swallows and shuts her eyes, her throat tightening. She shivers. "The nightmares came back."

"So...you're going after them for a nightmare?" he asks. "That's a bit much, wolfie."

"Not for them," she retorts. "Leo said the spiritual journey could help me heal." Her eyes brighten and her tail starts to wag as she steps closer to Casey. "The nightmares could stop, I could be like...like who I was before."

He doesn't say anything for a moment, then he exhales. "I don't know, wolfie. I mean, change is a part of life, right? Maybe you should get used to it."

"I have to try," she nearly whispers. He purses his lips and she sighs. "And...if I go, you'll be alone with April."

His eyes widen, then his lips curl upwards. "Cool, we could use some 'us' time," he says.