Chapter 22

Taehyung brought his basket of apples to the kitchen encouraging Jungkook to take his own basket of fruit and share it with their mates. It took the omega a while to find everyone but he eventually was able to offer each of his mates a crisp apple. In exchange they thanked him with warm smiles, gentle kisses, and complements on how he had picked the perfect fruit. Jungkook felt a little embarrassed by the attention but also felt a bit proud that he was able to start to support his alphas. Six apples really wasn't much but he needed to start somewhere.

He found Namjoon last, tucked in the home office reading some papers.

"I'm sorry to interrupt." Jungkook wasn't sure if he should bother the alpha who was obviously doing important work but Namjoon quickly waved him into the room.

"It's no problem, I'm glad to see you back. Did you have a good trip to the garden and orchard with Taehyung?"

"It was so beautiful. I've never seen anything like it. Hopefully I can go back someday."

"You can go any time you want pup. But at least for now you should tell one of us first so we know where to find you. Although I expect one of us would be glad to go with you anyway."

Jungkook tentatively held out the apple he had brought for the alpha. "Would you like a snack?"

"If you picked it then definitely yes. I'm sure it will be delicious. I have just a few more minutes of work, do you want to stay?"

Jungkook nodded yes and started to head to the chair on the far side of the desk until Namjoon motioned him closer.

"Why don't you sit on my lap. I'd love to have you nearby."

"Won't that bother you?" The omega stopped in his tracks.

"Pup, I think you don't quite realize the pull you have on all of us. Trust me, it won't bother me at all."

Motioning again to the omega to come closer, Namjoon invited him to crawl into his lap.

"How about this, I'll finish up my work and you can feed me the apple. That will help me keep my hands clean so I can finish sooner."

Jungkook immediately agreed, holding the apple out for the alpha to take a bite.

It seemed with each bite the Namjoon found a way to brush his lips across the omega's fingertips causing the omega's heart to race. When Namjoon had finally finished his work and the snack, Jungkook threw the core in the trash can by the desk. Seeing drops of apple juice on the omega's hands Namjoon carefully licked each of Jungkook's fingers, working his way down the palm and all the way to the sensitive wrist.

"Mmm, that was delicious, thank you."

Jungkook felt like his heart was about to explode. Nobody had ever touched him in that way before. Sure he had been scented, which in and of itself made his stomach full of butterflies. But this, this was an altogether different situation.

Namjoon could tell the poor omega was flustered so he pulled him close, pressing him tight against his chest so he could relax listening to his heart beat.

It took Jungkook a bit to work up the courage to speak, "What were you working on?"

"Just some reports that we get daily. They describe potential flashpoints between humans and wolves so we can intervene if necessary. I'm sure you know that we are responsible to take action if there is violence between the two species, but sometimes if we see trouble brewing we'll try to address it in advance."

"Really? I didn't know that."

"Most wolves don't," Namjoon rumbled a bit in laughter. "But I think it is the most important part of our job. Normally the previous pack would still take care of this since we are so recently mated but I guess all of us have had to quickly acclimate to our new roles over the last few weeks."