Astarion

After keeping to the shadows for over 200 years and the fragile semblance of freedom I was afford under my master's thumb being tied to the night, the sun on my skin has become something of a luxury. Bestowed upon me as a side effect of this tadpole swimming in my skull and nothing more.

Though this morning it feels different, amplified in a way.

I look up from my book after reading over the same page for what feels like the 100th time to take in the bustle of the camp. I quickly find her chatting with Wyll and Karlach, a guarded smile gracing her lips that doesn't quite reach her eyes. Curious.

Memories of her true smile twist the knife in my heart as in turn I will myself to remember the plan. From the moment I held that dagger to her throat and the way her body slackened, that in itself an admission of innocence. This one would be soft and pliable, I had thought, this was a fruit ripe for the picking. I had recognized it from the nobles I would seduce and bring back to Cazador, but back then my weapon was my silver tongue and a promise of pleasure.

If anything last night proves my point, her kindness would be her downfall in the way she presented her pretty little neck to me without a fight. I will make it a slow descent into my bed relishing in the little shakes and shudders that my experience will draw from her, allowing it to stroke my ego and not much else. I will offer her my companionship to dull the loneliness I see in her eyes, solidifying my place at her side, not Wyll.

As if she could feel my gaze, she glances over and the images from last night flood my consciousness. Not of her soft supple body being pressed against me, the intoxicating taste of her blood on my lips or the way she just fit. It was the raw hunger at the pit of my stomach, the feeling of a night's breeze against my shoulders as I run through the woods. My feral gaze finds a doe in the clearing.

I was quick to realize these feelings weren't my own. They were Nymeria's. Memories of her wild shape at the corner of her consciousness. What would the others think if they glimpsed the hunger inside of her? The innocent little rabbit hiding a wolf in her heart.

Lae'zel's comment from before rings in my head, One body is not meant to house that many souls. It poisons the mind.

That's exactly how Nymeria would see it as well. Something akin to a monster inside of her, similar to the one that I have been living with.

I watch as she returns her attention to Wyll, a sour feeling settling in my chest as she rests her hand on his arm. The group erupts in laughter before Wyll and Karlach break away and begin to walk to the edge of the camp towards Shadowheart's tent.

Nymeria trains her attention on me and begins to walk over, I look back down at my book stealing glances from under my lashes as she approaches.

"Astarion." She says, her voice soft, but unsure.

"Good morning," I smile and incline my head, "How do you feel?"

She furrows her brow and shakes her head, "I'm fine. Maybe just a little bit woozy, but it should pass."

"Just be glad I'm not a 'true' vampire." I close my book and hold it at my side and straighten, "They're nasty, scheming, power hungry beasts."

"But about last night—".

I let out a huff, "Look, I have already apologized and thanked you for saving my life. What more do you want." I think of her hips grinding against mine, "Unless you're looking for another nibble."

Her nostrils flare and that delicious pink shade creeps across her freckled cheeks, "No, maybe later." Her eyes widen and she looks away, stammering, "I meant when you saved me from the wolf."