Nymeria

I find Astarion in the morning breaking down his tent and putting away his things, I can almost see the weight of his thoughts in the dip of his shoulders and how he stares off after a few moments his hands forgotten in the motions.

I hug the leather tunic to my chest as I approach, "Astarion."

He quickly arranges his features in a pleasant smile, "Morning, my sweet. Sorry, my thoughts were running away with me."

"What is it?" I ask, tilting my head.

He looks down at his pack, his fingers running along the leather strips that tie it off. "Everything feels so sudden." He explains, "A fortnight's travel to Moonrise and we might be rid of these tadpoles once and for all. I thought I would have more time."

"No more parasite means." I mutter.

"I'm his again. Whatever advantage I've gained from the mind flayers taken away from me." He sighs, "I don't even know the specifics of the contract or pact he carved into my back. I feel all I have is more questions than answers."

I reach forward and put my hand on his, "We will figure it out."

"Aren't you so sweet." He looks up at me then takes in the leather at my chest, "What is that?"

"Oh." I smile holding out the cobalt blue leather tunic, "I used a bit of the coin I got from the tieflings."

He stares at it, "Is this for me?"

I nod, "As lovely as your padded cloth armor is," I pause, "and it is quite lovely. I felt this might protect you a bit more from the odd arrow or crossbow bolt. Especially with the danger we have been finding ourselves in."

Astarion takes it from me and stares down at it for a moment, running his fingers along the gold embellishment at the collar, matching the designs around the shoulders and bottom hem.

"I know black would have helped you slip into the shadows a bit more, but the tanner was out of dye so I thought a dark blue was the next best—"

I watch as he begins unlacing his armor, stripping it off in front of me. My eyes go wide as the white long sleeved shirt underneath clings to his skin. I seem to forget how beautiful he is even for a High Elf, as many of our private moments are stolen away in the night.

Astarion tugs the armor up over his shoulders then takes time to adjust the ties and buckles up the front. As he finishes he rolls his shoulders and looks down at me with a devilish smile, "So, how do I look?" He holds out his arms for appraisal.

I blink at him, "You look." I clear my throat, "gorgeous."

He steps forward and takes my face in his hands, staring down at me for a moment before kissing me firmly. Stunned by the gesture, I reach up and grip his forearms to steady myself as I lean into his kiss. He pulls away and presses another softer kiss to my forehead, whispering "Thank you, my love."

Such a blatant display of affection feels a bit strange coming from Astarion, but still I allow the giddy sensation bubble in my chest.

Lae'zel, Shadowheart and Wyll set off a few hours earlier to scout ahead towards the Mountain Pass while the rest of us began our slow trek to catch up. It was going to be a few days or close to a few weeks to make our ways towards the Moonrise Towers and ever since Astarion mentioned it the idea kept replaying in my mind.

I could so easily lose him if we remove the mind flayer parasites before taking down his old master.

I can't help but look back at him as he trails behind us, still lost in thought and almost untouchable at times. It feels as though just as he allows one of his walls to come down another finds it's way between us.