Astarion

I stir to the sound of birdsong and the sun warm on my skin through the canopy above. I go to move, but feel a weight on my chest and look down to see Nymeria sprawled across me. I stare at her, enjoying the subtle rise and fall of her naked chest. I breathe in her scent, warm from the sun and trail my fingers down her arm.

It feels like a dream, no, a nightmare. One that I have had so many times before. I allow myself to touch her, just once. To taste her for myself, feeling in my bones that this one is mine. Then she is wrenched from me, naked and afraid, turning the same fearful eyes on me that the others have. My pretty words just bait and my body the snare. They take her. He takes her away from me.

I swallow and the sun burns white hot above me, the ache in my chest sets my blood alight. I can almost feel myself burning, turning to ash. I close my eyes, tight willing the sensation to consume me so it can at once be extinguished. This was never meant for me, it was never mine. She was never going to be...

"Shh. Shh shh." Nymeria mutters, I can feel her palm warm against my cheek. "Astarion."

I open my eyes to see her hovering over me, worry creasing her features.

"You were having a bad dream." She strokes my cheek, her finger trailing down along my jaw.

I sit up, "My whole life has been a nightmare that I'm still trying to wake up from."

She leans back as I pull on my shirt then get to my feet and begin to pace. I need to move.

"Nearly 200 years of being chained to the shadows, of being tortured and not just a puppet, but a slave to my vampire master Cazador. Being forced to bring him tribute in the way of pretty nobles for him to feed upon and being thrown rats when I was given the chance to feed at all." I explain, "Then the mind flayers grant me this fragile freedom and even though it may turn me into a horrible monster, I feel I am at the verge of finally waking up."

I turn to her, "I don't want to go back."

She lays there naked staring at me with such rapt attention and emotion, "You won't have to."

"No," I growl, "No, he will be looking for me if he isn't already and I will be dragged back into that hell. Vampires don't relinquish power that easily. I am still his."

"Then we will kill him." Nymeria says, "If that is what will help wake you from this nightmare."

I walk over to her and drop to my knees, taking her face into my hands, "Why?" I search her face and struggle not to grit my teeth at the sweet words coming from her lips."Why are you so ready to fight for me you foolish little thing?"

She reaches up and grabs my forearms, staring into my eyes. "Everything I have cared for in my life was taken from me. My circle, my mother, and my brother. I have nothing left waiting for me and nowhere to go after all of this. All I have is my own freedom and I promise will do my best to fight for yours because I believe in my heart that is what you deserve."

I press my forehead to hers, "Better get dressed, my dear, before I decide to ravish you."

"That's not the threat you believe it to be." She smiles at me, her tail swishing at her side.

"True, but the others will be looking for us soon. Unless you'd like an audience." I lean in to press a kiss to her throat and I can feel her heart flutter at the prospect. "They can look, but they can't touch. I'm not sharing you with any of them." I breathe against her neck and let my fangs drag across her flesh. "Well, maybe Shadowheart."

She laughs and pushes me off of her playfully and begins to dress.

When we return to camp, no one had missed us. The group was already breaking down their tents after Lae'zel brought back news of a nearby village only a stone's throw from the Selunite temple.