Nymeria

"Gah, I'm bloody bored." Karlach says giving her greataxe an experimental swipe, sliding through the brush as we walk down the path. "I feel like I've been cooped up for days. I need some action. I don't see why we're taking time out to search these ruins when we know exactly where the goblins are hiding. The three of us would make quick work of them for sure."

"Yes," Astarion purrs, "The three of us against the countless number of goblins held up in the Selûnite Temple. It doesn't seem like a fair fight now that you mention it." He rolls his eyes and falls in step beside me his voice low, "Times like these I do so miss Lae'zel's company."

"Shh." I hiss at him.

"What is it like being a bear?" Karlach asks, her eyes trained ahead of her.

"I wouldn't know." I share a look with Astarion then continue, "It's not a shape that I am familiar with."

"But you could do it, right?" She gives me a big smile. "What was the first shape that you learned? No, scratch that. Which is your favorite?"

"She does make a fairly cute cat." Astarion gives me a private smile, "But I'm fairly certain she prefers being a wolf."

I open my mouth to protest, but stop myself.

"Then what's it like being a wolf? Do you think wolf thoughts? Are they in common?" Karlach asks.

"As much as find this line of inquiry positively gripping, I believe it would be in our best interest to continue towards the ruins in silence." Astarion continues, "Just because we aren't sure what we might be dealing with."

"Right." Karlach nods, gripping her greataxe, "Would be better if I take the lead on this one as well, yeah? I'll holler if I need you."

"Wait." I call out watching as Karlach stomps ahead.

Astarion's hand circles my wrist and he tugs me to a stop, his tone taking on a sing-song quality, "No, no, let her go."

"What are you doing?" I ask as he leads us a short ways off the path into a small outcropping of rocks.

"We need to have a little chat, you and I." He smiles, looking down at me. "It's been a moment since I've had you all to myself."

My heart thuds in my chest as he releases my wrist and uses the back of his forefingexr to trace a slow and deliberate path up my arm. I can feel the blush creeping over my body under his gaze. "We've had every chance to talk this morning."

"Perhaps I wanted a bit more privacy," His hand abandons my arm and reaches my waist, slowly guiding me until my back hits rock. "Something has changed between us. I know you can feel it."

"Nothing has changed." I reach up and press my hands to him, attempting to push him away, but my breath hitches as I find the strong planes of his chest.

"Is that really the response you want to go with, my darling? You forget that I can hear your heart beating all the way over here." He tips my chin up, "I've glimpsed your passions through our little shared bond."

The more I look into his eyes, I can see that vacant quality that he gets sometimes and it's like I have been splashed with cold water. He's right. Something has changed between us, but that's not what he is pushing for in this moment. "You're coming on rather strong."

"I'm—What?" Astarion furrows his brow and blinks, the genuine look of shock in his face is more familiar. The unguarded Astarion that I'm used to. Not the one that drifts in and out of conversation, delivering bolts of razor sharp wit. Not the Astarion that likes to tease Gale or berate Wyll just for fun. This was the Astarion that I fought side by side with, unpracticed steps and all. The Astarion that would smile at me through bruises and bloodied lips like we share a secret. "What do you mean I'm coming on too strong? This is what you've been waiting for. This is what you want."