Nymeria

As soon as I get to my room I feel the anxiety twisting in my stomach. It has been so long since I've had this feeling of anticipation and excitement. This isn't the first time I have been alone with him, but the first since everything has happened between us.

I reach for my pack and rummage through it to find what I'm looking for. I pull out a beautiful pale blue linen dress that I had bought from a merchant in The Grove, I don't know why I picked it out or even bought it. I wasn't one to wear dresses, but something about tonight feels special. Staring down the end of days.

There was no way to know what we were walking into tomorrow to rescue Halsin, it was akin to marching straight into the maw of a dragon and even with that, the threat of the mind flayer parasites added an ever present danger. Tonight might be the last night in this body or with this mind.

Still, I wanted this moment amidst the chaos. For some reasons I wanted him to see me as I could be, not just as I am. Something beautiful and to be desired without this knife to all of our throats. I don't dare speak of a future for I know everything can be taken away, but a tiny ember remains in my breast.

I strip out of my armor and set it aside then pull the dress over my head and tighten the laces at the back. The bodice cinches in my waist and hugs my hips in a way I'm only used to with my armor, but this fabric feels more like a soft cool caress. It reminds me of when his hands grip my waist and squeeze.

There's a knock at the door and I startle, my heart racing all over again.

"One moment." I say as I look at my reflection in the cracked mirror standing in the corner of the room, I can barely recognize my form. I suck in a breath and cross the room, my hand hovering at the latch before opening it.

Astarion stands there in his white shirt and leather breeches, his arm leaning on the frame of the door in a devil may care sort of way. The low light plays with the shadows of his features, sharpening them enough that I feel I might cut myself if I reach for him. I knew elves were beautiful, but he brings a new meaning to the word. Adding something savage and cunning.

"There you are." He purrs then stills, his eyes softening as they travel down my body then back to my face. He says, "Well, you are full of surprises, aren't you?"

"I like to think so." I smile, moving aside so he can come in.

I close the door behind him and watch him take in the room. It's nothing like I feel he'd find back in Baldur's Gate, but for being taken by goblins it's still much better than sleeping in the tent at night. He runs his hand along the dresser with the leg missing and glances over to the bed's simple wooden frame. The straw from the mattress is splitting through in some parts so I draped my blankets over it as a simple solution.

The moment he turns back to face me I can hear the music begin again. I immediately recognize the bard's gentle melody being played into the night's sky, it doesn't feel as melancholy as the bard's current situation. Each note has the feeling of hope, of resilience and above all else. Love. Even in the darkest of places, the smallest of moments, and at the last of our breaths. It reminds me how strong the heart is.

He laughs to himself and holds out a hand, "Shall we?"

"Oh." I shake my head, "No, I don't know how to dance."

"Then I will teach you." He walks towards me and gathers my hands in his, placing one on his shoulder and the other at his hip, he mirrors the placement with his own and pulls me close. "Just follow my lead, my dear."

Even with his cooler skin, his touch sears into mine. I look down and try my best to follow his steps as he begins, I feel awkward as if I am merely shuffling from side to side.