Nymeria

The sun is rising as we emerge from Cazador's Palace and finally make it back to the Blade and Stars.

As we walk into the tavern, I'm surprised to see Shadowheart sitting at a table across from Wyll. She sees us first and stands, her hands braced on the edge of the table, before rushing towards us.

Karlach pushes past and intercepts Shadowheart, wrapping her large arms around the petite half-elf's middle and lifting her into the air. The look on Shadowheart's face is priceless as the realization dawns of Karlach's new condition.

"Gods." Shadowheart's voice squeaks out, "I thought you had killed me."

Karlach lets her down and smiles. "Sorry, I've just been so excited."

"You all look terrible." Shadowheart says, looking between us all, that her hand is already alight with her light blue magic as she reaches towards Karlach's injuries.

Beside me, Astarion remains uncharacteristically quiet but still clings to me out of necessity, as I doubt I could stand on my own after hobbling all the way back to the tavern. Karlach had offered to carry me a number of times, but I didn't want to let him go. Part of me feels like he would drift away.

I can tell he's withdrawn inside himself, but I don't want to push; I just have to have faith that he will come back to me. Everything has changed after all. With Cazador finally gone and the decision to release seven thousand vampire spawn out into the Underdark weighing heavily on his shoulders, it's no surprise that he feels overwhelmed. I have seen the look in his eyes before.

Shadowheart walks up to me and smiles. "Your armor is quite lovely." She reaches out and takes my hand.

"Was lovely." I correct her, "Though I'm sure I could find a way to mend it."

Astarion finally releases me, and I limp towards the table. I'm barely able to keep from falling onto the bench; my muscles are fatigued from the amount of magic I exerted.

Shadowheart's eyes roam over my injuries, and she furrows her brow. "You are positively torn to shreds."

I gesture to my leg and say, "That's my doing. I got caught in my own thorns."

She reaches her hands out, pressing them against my right calf, and closes her eyes. Her magic feels warm against my skin, but as it begins to take effect, I feel a sharp pain in my leg, causing me to stiffen and grab the side of the table.

"Sorry." Her voice is calm. "Sometimes it isn't the most pleasant thing when the body begins to mend if the muscle is torn."

"It's okay." I hiss out a breath.

She stands and places one hand on my left shoulder, the other at my wrist to straight my arm. I feel her magic again, passing through my entire arm, and already everything feels light. My shoulder is no longer tight from the swelling of the gashes.

"Good as new." She smiles.

"Seven thousand vampire spawn." Wyll finally says from across from me, lifting his ale to his lips and taking a drink.

"Wyll." Shadowheart chastens.

I suck in a breath and look to Astarion, finding him gone without a trace. Panic flares in my chest, and I see red as I turn back to Wyll.

"I have more important things to attend to." I look down at his mug of ale, "Have another drink, Wyll."

Pushing up from the table, Shadowheart jumps out of the way as I walk over to Karlach and Gale.

"Karlach, do you know where Astarion went?" I ask.

Karlach looks down at me, then looks around the tavern.