Astarion

As I stare down at the dagger in my hand, a new plan begins to form. All of fear and adrenaline has been wrung dry from my body and in it's place is a sense of resolve, the monster in my chest stirring to life. I look to Nymeria and smile, it's the first time I see her expression waver as she stares back at me a question in her eyes.

"Astarion?" She asks.

If I wish to have any future beyond Cazador's control I need to reach out and grab it by the throat. There isn't room for any mistake or compromise, I will not bow to another's influence. I need to secure my freedom and my future beyond the tadpole's magic.

I look down at the bones at my feet, "There will be more. And werewolves as well. I can already smell wet dog." I grimace and look back to my companions. "Stay close."

I slide my dagger back into it's sheath, Nymeria walks up to me and slides her hand into my, threading our fingers together. The emotion catches in my throat as I look down at it, the lifeline she's throwing towards me amidst the chaos. Part of me wants to scream at her, my thoughts bubbling over. To tell her I am not what she imagined and not what she hoped me to be. I want to tell her my plan and watch her walk away just to feel the burn because I don't know if I have the strength to do it without that added ache inside of me.

In spite of my thoughts, I squeeze her hand and pull her along side me as we climb up the steps towards the kitchen.

As the wooden door swings open, six faces look towards us, their eyes wide. Cazador's mortal servants, recognize me immediately, they know more than they let on but that's true for any servant. They also likely know why I am here. At once they all turn to scramble away like mice caught off guard by candlelight.

Nymeria pulls away from me and reaches her hand out, power swirling around her fingertips. Then she gestures towards the humans as if she's plucking at strings and tying them off.

One by one the kitchen workers collapse to the ground and into a deep sleep, some amidst their scramble towards the door.

Beside me she lets out a deep breath and allows her shoulders to sag. I know that look anywhere and fear tugs at me again, strengthening my resolve. This isn't just for me anymore. This is for the future I hope to secure with her at my side.

We walk through the kitchen stepping over the slumbering bodies. The palace is still alive with celebration, the lambs marching forward to their slaughter. I always thought it was quite perverse how certain nobles clamored for Cazador's attention, but I spent nearly 200 years luring people with honeyed words so I know how persuasive the right combination can be.

The main hall is empty except for two humans that stand guard at the grand staircase, a man and a woman. I can tell what they are the moment I scent them.

"Apologizes," I smile, "I seem to be late to the party."

The man looks to where we emerged from and his eyes turn to the woman, he rakes a hand through his dull blond hair shifting uncomfortably.

The stout woman flares her nostrils and growls, "How dare you speak to us in such a manner?! You should know your place, spawn."

"Actually, it would so happen that my place is up the stairs behind you." I say, gesturing between them.

The man furrows his brow, "Master says no one is allowed past once the rites have begun."

"Werewolves." I sigh, "Dumber than a bag of rocks."

I shift on my heel, pulling my dagger from my hip and reach for the man, my blade just under the corner of his jaw before he can react. The woman lets out a scream and transforms before me, her golden eyes staring at me then turning towards Nymeria and the others, letting out a howl.