Nymeria

"That's when the skeletons began to reanimate?" Gale asks, gesturing for Karlach to return to her train of thought.

I lift the goblet of wine to my lips and take a sip, watching as Karlach recounts today's adventure, but my thoughts return to him . On the walk back to camp he seemed in high spirits, but as soon as we rejoined the others something changed. I continue to replay the moments over and over in my mind trying to find the one that helps everything click into place, but I can't.

"Right!" She points to Gale, "The skeletons came to life and then Nymeria turned into a wolf!"

I shrink in my seat, "It was a bit after that." My eyes find Shadowheart who looks blindly into the flame, wrapping an arm around her middle.

"I just see this golden blur charge across the room and knock Astarion right on his ass." Karlach smiles and takes a drink of her wine.

"That's certainly what I'd do if I could turn into such a creature." Gale chuckles to himself.

"You do really make such a beautiful wolf, Nym. It just makes me want to give you all of the cuddles and call you a good girl." Karlach says with a nod.

"Now, now." Wyll laughs, "She's our friend and not a pet."

Karlach glances over at me and mumbles under her breath, "I don't see why she can't be both.

"I do like the idea of her being fitted with a collar and a bell." Shadowheart says tilting her head in a playful manner, "Don't you, Wyll?" She quirks her brow.

I share a look with Karlach and she leans back, searching the camp. I know who she's looking for immediately when she turns back to me and shakes her head.

That's right. Karlach was there to witness the kiss so it wasn't all a hallucination from the magic. It really did happen. It was the one thing I had been thinking about, Gods, for who knows how long. I had cursed myself so many times for wanting it. I have been so foolish in my admiration, but I genuinely feel something for him. It's as natural to me as breathing.

"So, what do you think?" Wyll says.

I blink and look over to see him looking at me expectantly. "I'm sorry." I set down my wine and fan myself, "It's been a long day. I might need some air."

Karlach gets up as I stand, poised to follow me as I walk out towards my tent.

I hear footsteps behind me and turn, "I just..."

Wyll stands there before me, "Are you feeling alright? I heard you got hit with some pretty nasty necrotic magic."

"Yeah." I brush my hair behind my ear, "Also shifting kind of takes a lot out of me. I probably shouldn't have had as much wine as I did."

"You know," He takes a step forward, "I wish I could have seen you today. To fight by your side again."

"No," I laugh, "Karlach makes it sound a lot more exciting than it was. She'd make a pretty great bard."

"Right," He smiles, "Still, what I was going to say back there." He looks back over his shoulder to where we had been gathered around the campfire.

I swallow, sensing his hesitation.

He turns back to me and takes another step towards me, closing the distance between us. "When all this is over. When we get these things out of our skulls." He inclines his head, "We should continue traveling together."

"Oh." I search for Karlach for a lifeline, finding her close to her tent trying her hardest not to eavesdrop. She crinkles her nose at me. I look back at Wyll, "That's."