𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆

Sitting atop the ragged tiles of her house's roof, she stared up into the shimmering night sky.

The faint cold breeze in the air felt nice against her skin. The sounds of birds quietly chirping and her slow, calm breaths were the only noise to be heard in the silent night.

The moon glowed brightly, and the stars lit up the sky like a thousand fireflies in a dark, desolate forest.

Here...she felt at home. She felt safe. Nothing scared her. Not the stars, not the sky, not the moon nor the wind. Not the birds, nothing.

All of this, and it was...

“Beautiful, isn't it?”

Hearing the unfamiliar voice, she shot her head around. Fear immediately filled her senses upon seeing a strange man not far behind her.

“Who are you?” She asked, hesitant.

“Who I am doesn't matter.” The old man spoke.

“Why are you sat out here all alone?” He asked, not coming any closer.

She wasn't sure, but she felt as if the old man could sense the fear she felt, and was not coming closer as to not scare her any more.

"I'm a failure." She muttered, turning her head back around and looking down at her hands.

“I suck at everything I've ever done!” She raised her voice, slamming her clenched fist onto the tiles of the roof.

“All I want to do is get into an amazing College and University, and make my parents proud.” She spoke, her tone lowering to a sad, troubled one.

“But it turns out, I'm so useless that I can't do anything right!” She muttered through gritted teeth. The frustration she felt clear as night.

“Nobody's completely useless.” The old man spoke again. Though, his feeble attempt at trying to comfort her proved useless.

“I am.” She mumbled, upset with herself and who she was.

“Why don't you come with me?” The old man suggested.

Confused, and a little creeped out, she turned around to look at the old man again. “Why? You're just a random old man. A kind one, I'll admit. But I don't know anything about you or who you are.”

“And no offence, but I'm not gonna go off with some random stranger in the middle of the night.” She bit, a slight hint of annoyance audible in her tone.

“Please, I assure you I mean no harm. Do come with me. I can help you to become who you truly are.” He spoke, the man's vagueness tempting her in the slightest.

“I can't.” She huffed. “Even if I wanted to, which I don't, my parents wouldn't allow it.”

“Your parents have already given me their approval.” The old man assured. Though, this made her uncertain.

“They what? That's a first.” The girl mumbled, surprised.

Glancing up at the old man, the girl wore a surprised, yet confused and intrigued expression.

“Who are you?”