𝟏𝟓 | 𝑹𝒊𝒔𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕 𝑫𝒆𝒗𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒓

A/N: These chapters just keep getting longer, eh? I'm still ill, but I'm slowly getting better. But istg if I'm not good by Monday I'm going to break something.

On another note, it's been almost two months since I updated, so I'm glad I pushed through and got a substantial amount of work done. It actually wasn't that hard since I'm not as bad as I was on Mon, Tue and Wed. After giving me a combination of sickness and monthly torture, I think the universe decided to be nice and give me motivation for longer than two seconds. So thank you universe, you're not a complete ass. Though as I'm typing this (7th), I now feel really hot, and I haven't got to editing it yet. It's probably just my laptop though. It is 90% of the time, even when I'm not sick.

It is now 0:40 two days later, and I finally edited this thing. A'ight, now it's being posted! Finally!

Enjoy!

Sitting at the dining table, I shift in my seat as the apprehensive feeling that's slowly been bubbling up in my chest only gets worse. I'm not sure why it's happening. Ever since this morning, I've been feeling uneasy. The heavy rain, thunder crackles, and lightning strikes have done little to nothing to ease my feelings.

The sounds of the rain pours, thunder crackles, and lightning strikes are the only noises audible through the paper thin doors. Clinks of metal colliding against metal accompany the highly unpleasant weather, being one of the only few sounds in the quiet. Other than faint, repetitive breaths from the three at the table, as well as myself. The dining room is one of the few places we can all get together. For it to be this quiet, void of laughter, chatter of any kind, it leaves the room feeling empty. Eerie. So much so a pin drop would be the most prominent sound in the room.

"Why is it that Torchfire Mountain is the only place we can destroy the Fang Blades?" Nya queries, disrupting the silence. Her tone is full of anxiety.

"Because the Fang Blades are made from the original teeth of the Devourer. They're so strong they can only break down in extraordinary heat." Kai apprises, a grin plastering his slightly tan skin.

"What I'm curious about is why there's only Four Fang Blades when there's five tribes. Wouldn't it make sense for each tribe to have one?" I ask, indifference present on my usually calm expression.

I'm not actually curious about it, I just want something to fill the silence. Though now that I've said it, I can't help but wonder why there's only four blades. You'd think there would be five, to symbolize the five tribes. Maybe it's because the Devourer has four large fangs in the front of its mouth? That could be it. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just reading into things too much.

"Uh, could someone pass the salt?" Jay asks. Convinently, a sudden jolt racks through the Bounty. It isn't too strong, not enough to knock us from our seats anyway. But the ship's small tilt to one side, a reaction from the weather, is enough to send the salt shaker across the table and into Jay's hand. He winks and flashes Nya a grateful smile from across the table. "Hey, thanks."

Normally, I would've rolled my eyes at his little attempt at flirting with Nya. I like the two as a couple, but was that little wink really necessary? I don't think so. Nethertheless, I don't bother. My mind caught up with conflicting thoughts and the anxiety plaguing my chest. My gaze wonders around the room, soon fixating on a small cherry plant in the corner to my far right. My anxiety is something that's been with me every day for years. I used to ask myself when would it go away. When would I be able to do normal things without overthinking again. I stopped a long time ago when I finally realised it wouldn't go away. The one question lingering on my mind this time is why is it suddenly bothering me today of all days? And to this extent?