𝟓 | 𝑺𝒏𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒃𝒊𝒕

Hearing the faint sound of a gong quickly getting louder and louder, I folded half of my pillow over my face as it got unbearably loud.

I wasn't sure what time it was, but I definitely knew it was morning now. The obnoxious loud noise made that more than clear.

"Evil doesn't sleep and neither should you." Sensei spoke. I'm assuming he's the criminal behind the noise.

Grunting, I took my pillow out from underneath me and pressed it down on my face, silently wishing the noise would just go away.

"In order to reach your full potential, we must greet each day as an opportunity."

"Okay, okay, we're up." Kai groaned tiredly, getting of the top bunk of his bed.

Unlike back at the monastery, where we each had our own rooms, here we didn't have much room to work with so the five of us had to share a room.

Kai and Zane shared a bunk bed, Jay and Cole shared one, and I had my own bed.

"But if you want us to reach our full potential, shouldn't we at least get a full night or rest?" He yawned, pulling the blinds open only for them to come off the window and break.

Slowly sitting up, a tired yawn left me as I stared at the wall for a solid minute before being snapped out of my tired trance by Cole and getting out of bed.

"You call that rest? I think my back has more lumps than the mattress." Cole spoke, cracking his back.

"What mattress? We literally slept on solid wood." I huffed, my eyes closed as I was still half asleep.

Seeing that I clearly wasn't properly awake, Sensei purposefully tripped me up when I wasn't looking.

Taken off guard, I fell back and hit my head on the hard wooden posts of the bunk bed.

"Ow!" I groaned, rubbing the aching spot on my head. Now I'm awake.

"Son of a--"

"We were up late, talking about how cool it is to have a new headquarters I guess we lost track of time." Jay cut me off.

"Since the Serpentine burned down the monastery, I'm just glad we have a roof over our heads--" Accidentally brushing a mix of toothpaste, dirt and dust into his teeth, Jay immediately spat it all out into the sink.

"What is our lesson today, Sensei? Mastering the strike of the scorpion? Or perhaps the grace of a--" Jumping up, the floorboards beneath Zane broke when he landed, causing a load of dust to come out from the ground.

"I think today's lesson will be chores." He spoke nonchalantly.

"Chores?" The four boys questioned.

"Ninjas fight, sensei. They do not clean." Cole spoke.

"Why are you so surprised about this? We're teenagers. We were gonna have chores dumped on us eventually." I shrugged, earning a pointed look from the four.

I hated doing them when I used to live with my parents, but it didn't come as a surprise that I hadn't escaped them.

"In order to respect ourselves, we must respect our new home and where we are from. And this place is a long way from becoming a ninja headquarters."

"I expect things to be spotless when I return. And put your backs into it." Sensei urged, banging the gong one final time before leaving.

"Ah this place is gonna take forever to clean and fix up." Kai complained, as Cole helped Zane out of the new hole in the floor.