𝟗 | 𝑻𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝑻𝒐𝒄𝒌

"Ten minutes. He just broke his own record. The guy's inhuman!" Kai cried out.

The four of us were by the edge of the bounty, at sea with the anchor down. Zane was in the ocean, seeing if he could beat his own record for how long he could hold is breath.

It was unbelievable that he'd already held his breath for ten minutes and was still under. I couldn't even hold my breath for over thirty seconds, though I couldn't swim either so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Seeing Zane pop up from the water, he panted as the rest of us praised him and cheered. Honestly, he might hold the world record for holding your breath the longest.

"I broke the record?" He asked, hopeful.

"You destroyed it!" Kai cheered.

"Ok, ok. Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking? We've been training for so long, I don't think we can get any better. Just think about all we've accomplished." Jay gloated.

"That's not entirely true. There's always room for improvement." I trailed off, looking out into the ocean.

"Party pooper." Jay huffed.

"Hey, I'm just being realistic." I shrugged.

"The question should be raised-- perhaps we have reached our full potential?" Zane pointed out.

Zane had a point. Maybe the five of us have reached our full potential. Still, I felt as if something was missing.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly, but I just felt as if a part of me was missing. Like, before I could start gloating or praising myself, something else would have to be taken care of.

Biting my gum, I followed the boys as they walked to Sensei's room. I wasn't sure why we were going there, but I didn't care either. So long as it's not important, that is.

"Well, every morning I do five hundred push-ups." Zane spoke.

"Five hundred? Ha! Try a thousand." Kai bragged, opening the door to Sensei's room before walking in, the four of us following behind.

"Ha-ha! I do a thousand and one." Jay gloated, trying to one-up Kai. Literally.

"What is this, amateur hour? Sounds like my warm-up. Sensei, what does true potential look like if..."

Realising we had interrupted Sensei, an apologetic look washed over our faces as the five of us bowed.

"Our apologies, Sensei. We've interrupted you." Zane spoke.

"Ah! I'm sorry if I've been distant lately. My mind has been elsewhere since Lloyd has gone missing. What can I help you with?" Sensei asked, placing a wrapped up katana in a case before looking out the window.

"Sensei, what if we've done enough training? What if we've reached our true potential? What if we're ready?" Cole asked.

"You might have reached peak physical condition. But you've yet to reach your inner potential." He laughed.

"In each and every one of us, there are obstacles that hold us back. Only when you conquer that fear will your heart be free. Only then will you reach your true potential. Only then will we have a fighting chance to stop the Serpentine from releasing the Great Devourer." He finished.

"There's more to the Great Devourer than you've let on, isn't there?" Zane spoke, walking forward and placing a hand on Sensei's shoulder.

"I, too, have obstacles within my own heart. There's a story I've never told you." Sensei sighed, before beginning to tell us the story.