o18 , (losses.)

Newt watched as the smoke cleared, displaying the destruction of the Glade in total clarity. The broken buildings were now a splintered mess, the grass charred and black in certain areas and trees knocked down and onto the floor, obstructing specific paths and flattering the already destroyed buildings.

As people gathered, coming from all sorts of hiding spaces Newt's hope built in his chest, hoping that the brunette he fears is gone would appear. Alive, something Newt hadn't realised he had taken for granted. The amount of times they had argued in the past few weeks had all been wasted time. Things that shouldn't have been argued because their time together was worth more than that, more than an argument that in the end didn't matter. 

His hair was slick with dirt and grease from the sweat, dirt, smoke and the continuous action of running his hand through his hair. A comforting gesture he hadn't realised until now, reminded him of Arthur and his habit of running his fingers through his hair. It took him back to the customary haircut that seemed like years ago but was only a week or two ago. The way his fingers brushed against his hair, barely touching his scalp but skimming the skin at the nape of his neck sent a shock down his spine that he only ever got with him. The warmth of that memory never lasted forever though because the harsh remembrance of the absence of the boy appears. 

It isn't the same as the Maze though. There, he knew that there was a chance he was dead but it was in the Maze. A foreign area and even though it hurt and pained him to think about it, he knew it was a chance whenever he watched Arthur run off into it but here? Here where they are supposed to be safe and now he doesn't know whether Arthur is alive is so utterly gut-wrenching for him and the pit that lay in his stomach only twisted and churned itself deeper.

He missed Arthur.

He missed their brief kisses as Arthur laughed about random things he had been told that day, he missed the hugs he gave that made it feel as though no harm could happen to him as long as he was wrapped up in his arms. 

And so Newt gripped onto everything he could remember of him.

oo8

Newt had pulled away and was now looking at him, watching as his face heated up under his hands and the brunette blinked, looking lost. 

He seemed stuck, unsure of what to do now as his head lay in the hands of Newt who cradled him as if he were a jewel. Striking him with a gaze of such adoring that Newt had never felt before. 

He deserved to be on the other end of a gaze that loving. Newt believed that with his whole heart. He knew Arthur was the only one he would look at like this and he deserved it. Shame filled him as Arthur moved his eyes away from Newts. Doubt filled Newt as he let his hand's hold weaken, taking that as some form of rejection. 

Arthur left. He left without an explanation and Newt had a tear welling up in his eye as he left.

oo9

"Where is Arthur?" Newt glanced at Alby who glanced at the Maze. There was a moment of silence before Newt looked at Alby. "The Maze?" 

"Yeah, went off this morning with Minho, I'll get him to tell me later. You can ask Arthur what's going on because he'll tell you."  Alby started walking and Newt limped alongside him, clearing his throat before speaking, his tone ashamed.