Part 2

Chapter 2

Hermione sat in her seat alone and anxious as the absence of Harry and Ron from the train continued to fill her with anxiety about the fate of the two boys. She had already talked to McGonagall about their absence from the train and had told it to the prefect as well, yet they were still not here.

The sorting had begun already, and Professor McGonagall had already finished calling out half the names. Ginny Weasley, Ron's sister, had been sorted into Gryffindor, drawing a massive cheer from the twins and the red table as a whole, and sat a couple of seats after her, bubbling with excitement, though she was also a bit worried about Ron's absence from the feast.

The black-haired girl she had been chatting with during the train ride, had been sorted into Slytherin. Astoria had been her name, Astoria Greengrass, and Hermione wondered whether the bubbly girl was related to Daphne Greengrass from her class.

The whole Hall was buzzing with the chatter of students as McGonagall moved through the lists, and then it happened.

"Crovus Lestrange!" Professor McGonagall called, and then suddenly, the whole call became quiet. It somewhat reminded her of the time when Harry's name had been called last year, yet while it had been a sort of anticipation that had filled the heart at that time, the feeling was quite different this time.

The students whispered amongst themselves, seemingly unnerved, as they craned their necks to catch a glimpse of the boy in question.

"They allowed him to come here! What were they thinking!"
"I heard that Augusta Longbottom opposed his acceptance into the school!"
"Look, he looks just like her pictures!"

And she recognized the boy. He had been sitting with her in the compartment along with Astoria and Ginny. He had been relatively quiet throughout the journey, only speaking up when the bubbly Astoria forced her to join in. He had black hair, that had been allowed to grow out, but unlike Harry's unruly hair, his had a bit of a curl to them. And as he turned to face the silent hall, she finally got a good look at his face.

He was thin, not as thin as Harry but thin still, and had a pale face, but what was most striking about him were his eyes. They were red, a dark red, that she found quite striking. She felt that even the teachers were a bit quizzy as the sorting had been placed on his forehead, and then suddenly it shouted.

"Slytherin!" and the boy's robes and ties got changed into the Slytherin colors, there was a little clap from the Slytherin table but the rest of the Hall dissolved into murmuring once more, making her frown, for she still didn't know why they were doing this, and why did she find his name so familiar.

She leaned closer to Angelina, who sat by her side and spoke softly to the senior.

"Why is everyone so interested in him? Who is he?" she questioned, and saw the senior shift nervously before replying in a small voice.

"I thought you would have known. Well, he is the son of You-Know-Who's two most devout followers, Bellatrix and Rudolphus Lestrange, both of them are in Azkaban for life...." And she stilled as she heard those words, as her eyes moved towards the Slytherin table instinctively.

0000

AMELIA BONES

War had ravaged the wizarding world of the British Isles, Voldemort's second ascension had caught them all by surprise, and they had been unable to stop the man from razing their world to the ground.

The corrupt practices of her predecessor had made it so that most of his followers had escaped a prison sentence in their trials after the Dark Lord's initial demise and had been quick to return to their Lord's side after he rose up the second time. This, in addition to the belated response of the power-hungry and corrupt Cornelius Fudge, had nearly lost them in the war.