Part 18

Chapter 18

DAPHNE GREENGRASS

Daphne Greengrass was acutely aware of the frail health of the blonde walking towards the witness stand in the courtroom. It was one of the reasons that had kept her out of Great Britain and unaware of the whole trial proceedings. Due to the complexities of her birth, she had been bedridden for a year now, and many healers had called it a miracle that the young woman had even managed to survive.

Everyone in the court was intrigued by the presence of this newcomer, at least for those who were only paying perfunctory attention to the trial.

Those who had done some digging of their own were aware of the witch's importance, and given that the woman had been declared dead, her reappearance caused quite a stir in the court.

She could see a flicker of surprise appear on Percy's face, and it was no surprise that both of them were aware of each other, given that they had been prefects at around the same time at the school.

Adelaine slowly settled down into the chair as Daphne walked up.

"Can you please declare your name and relation to Crovus Lestrange for the Court?" she questioned, and Adelaine nodded.

"My name is Adelaine Murton," she began, her voice weak, and she halted at the next words before she continued in a shaky tone.

"And I was his only ever friend," she remarked, and the words stung her, for Daphne had her own part in the ruination of the young boy, a role which she could never deny. One that had made the blonde sitting opposite her resent her very much.

Yet now, despite their differences, they had come together for a singular purpose, and it was the exoneration of Crovus.

"Could you describe to the court in detail the nature of your relationship with Crovus Lestrange?" Daphne added and saw the blonde wither as she glanced towards the empty seat of the defendant. After a moment of thought, she added,

"I became interested in him near the end of my fifth year when I accidentally caught him facing Professor Snape in a secret duel. He dueled the man with exceptional skills, skills which could overshadow sixth and seventh years," she began, and she was aware of this.

"And then over the years, I began to follow him, began to understand the ocean that was Crovus Lestrange," she then stopped.

"Initially, it was all a puzzle, a game, the rules of which I did not understand. But then, over the years, things began to make sense, and the pieces began to click, and I realized the true intentions of Crovus Lestrange," Adelaine said slowly as she turned to face her.

"And what exactly were those intentions?" she questioned, and the whole Court waited for the blonde's answer.

"To infiltrate the ranks of the Death Eaters so he could bring down the man whom many in this room even fear to name," she snarled, a hint of anger and frustration in her tone as she glanced at the people sitting in the stands.

0000

ADELAINE MURTON-(Flash Back)

"I want you to help me become a Death Eater," Adelaine spoke as she sat beside him on the edge of the Astronomy Tower. The Dark Lord's revival about a year ago was still a secret, and the Ministry, under the control of Fudge and his cronies, was doing everything to stomp any notion regarding the return of the man.

Today was her last day in the school. She was aware of Crovus's rapid rise amongst the Dark Lord's ranks, and unlike many other people, she was aware of the toll it was taking on him. He had always been thin and pale, yet his skin had lost nearly all its color over the last few months, and his bones had begun to show. And the massive Dark circles under his eyes spoke of sleepless nights, often riddled with nightmares. She knew of this, for she had soothed him to sleep several times now, and his gut-wrenching screams and convulsions would break her heart.