Part 12

Chapter 12

DAPHNE GREENGRASS-(1998)

Adelaine Murton. Daphne read the name again off the piece of paper as she sat in the Leaky Cauldron. Besides, the name was an old picture, a photo she had obtained from one of the seniors who had been in the same year as Adelaine.

And right there, in the corner of the picture, stood the girl in question. A blonde girl with curly hair that reached her shoulders, her height neither middling as she stood on the edge of the picture, clad in Slytherin Green.

She didn't remember much of the senior, given that she often kept to herself. And so, in this case, there was only one person she knew who could help her locate the girl in question. A person whom she wouldn't hesitate to call a sister.

Tracy Davis.

The door to the bar opened, and she looked up and found a rather familiar face walking in. Her raven black hair had reached her shoulders as she adjusted her glasses, and rushed towards her with a smile.

"Daphne!" she nearly shrieked as she hugged her, and she found herself smiling at her infectious energy. The war hadn't been kind to any of them, and in those dark hours, when the future had appeared bleak, it had been this energy that had kept her going.

"Tracy," she greeted her friend, who took the seat opposite to her.

"So, tell me, what dilemma has forced the great Daphne Greengrass to remember this humble servant?" she teased, and Daphne shook her head.

"How have you been, Tracy?" she questioned, and her friend simply raised a brow.

"That's what you ask me. You vanish for months without a single letter, and then one day without any heads appear in court to defend the person you, in your words, 'hate the most', and then you ask me how have I been?" she complained, and Daphne sighed, as she saw that Tracy was wroth with her.

"I apologize for it, but there was no time," she tried to explain, but Tracy was having none of it.

"You could have said anything. Do you know how big of a story this was? My boss at the Prophet chewed my ears for days, for not knowing anything about this," Tracy huffed as she looked away like an angry cat, making her shake her head.

Tracy Davis had always been fascinated with gossip and was right now one of the Daily Prophet's biggest rising stars. And she could understand her anger, given that this was a major news scoop that she had denied him. And she knew just how she could make it up to her.

"Ok, I am sorry, and to make it up to you, I will give you an exclusive interview about Crovus's case," yet that didn't seem to convince, her, who looked towards her with a narrowed gaze.

"Hmm, add to that an exclusive short interview with Crovus Lestrange, and that will cover the cost of whatever you have called me here to do," she countered, and Daphne sook her head with a sigh.

"I cannot promise that, but I will mention it to him," she offered and saw a smile appear on her face as she took off her glasses.

"Deal!" she said, like a child who had just gotten her favorite candy. Tom brought them two pints as she cast a privacy ward around them.

"Tell me, how did you even get this case?" Tracy questioned. And Daphne thought of the day it had all begun, the day of her sister's funeral.

"It began after Astoria's funeral, after everyone left. I was standing there infront of her grave when a letter came for me," she answered and saw Tracy's smile drop at that as she looked at her with a sad expression.