Part 8

Chapter 8

DAPHNE GREENGRASS

Her heart wept as she found herself sitting in the Supreme Mugwump's chambers once more, with both Percy and Amelia Bones sitting there, their faces pale as they both read through the reports in their hands.

It was something she hadn't wanted to release. Yet now, it was part of the proceedings and, hence, a part of the official record.

"Gods, just what is this," Percy was the first one to speak as he turned to face her, and her lips thinned as she carefully thought about what she wanted to say.

"You must be aware of Crovus's mother, right," and he nodded. Of course, who in Britain didn't know about the infamous Bellatrix Lestrange, the right-hand woman of Voldemort, said to be his most loyal follower.

She then turned towards the Minister, who had a somber look on her face, and she had probably connected all the dots now. And before she could continue, the Minister herself began, slowly and somberly.

"Bellatrix Lestrange was perhaps the most talented witch of her age. She was my junior by some years, but even at Hogwarts, she was a menace with a wand," Amelia Bones said, and Daphne nodded. She had heard similar stories from the other people she had tracked down while checking out the whole story.

"But what does this all have to do with her? Bellatrix Lestrange died years ago," answered Percy, and her lips thinned. Hadn't that been a surprise, for a while in the midst of the war, one day one of Voldemort's most loyal followers had died without much fanfare. And even today, only a few people knew about the circumstances of her death.

"Because Bellatrix Lestrange wasn't always the crazed woman she would later go on to become," she answered Percy's question, who frowned and looked towards the Minister, who nodded.

"Yes, she is right. While Bellatrix Black, as she was called in those days, was always rather prickly and proud, she was in no way mad, or obsessed with blood purity or Voldemort. The change truly began with the shocking news of her betrothal to Rudolphus Lestrange," she said.

"And why was that?" Percy asked.

"Because the match made no sense," she answered, "Rudolphus Lestrange was simply a dolt. He had little talent and was an abysmal wizard," and then she turned to face Percy.

"This was the time around which she began to change, and no only now we know that the change in her wasn't truly natural," she answered as she pointed at the part of the report, mentioning the traces of modified amortentia found in her blood. It was a highly modified form that was more potent and gave a good explanation about the witch's behavior.

Percy read the file again and had a disgusted and shocked expression which quickly morphed into one of intrigue, as he asked her.

"But does this have to do with Crovus?" and she hesitated before she finally began with a sigh.

"Voldemort used amortentia to control Bellatrix Lestrange and expand his influence, yet when he came to learn about the prophecy, he began to grow concerned, and so he made a contingency plan in the event the prophecy proved to be true," she answered.

"He began to hunt down the child of the prophecy, but he also made another plan. A plan to rise up once more in case he died. I believe you are aware by now of how he achieved his immortality," she looked towards Percy, who nodded as he whispered the name of the abhorrent magic used by Voldemort to split his very soul.

"Horcruxes," he answered and he nodded.

"He had given some of these Horcruxes to his loyal followers, and now all he needed was a perfect vessel to control through these phylacteries, and that vessel was Crovus," she answered and saw the Minister sigh as she took of her glasses and sighed.