Part 13

Chapter 13

DAPHNE GREENGRASS

The day had been hectic for Daphne Greengrass. She had met with Tracy today and then had spent the whole day in the office sifting through files and old cases as she tried to piece together Crovus's defense.

And though things had become easier for her since Crovus was now well-liked in the public, who considered his actions to be nothing but a tragic outcome of the difficult times, the law was a whole other matter. And so, it was for this reason she found herself sitting inside her office even as the Night had long set, sifting through files and testimonies as she prepared herself for the hearing the day after tomorrow.

Finding Adelaide Murton would be a great help to her case, given that she could provide testimony in support of Crovus...

But before she could think any further, there was a sudden violent knock on her door, making her frown. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was well past mid-night. Why was someone knocking on her office at such a ghastly hour.

The knocking didn't stop, and her hand went to her wand instinctively, as she cautiously rechecked all her wards and found them to be functional.

"Who is it?" she questioned, and the answer came quickly.

"It's Head Auror Kingsley, from the Ministry, we need you to open up," came the quick answer and she frowned. Kingsley Shacklebolt what was he doing here. She had worked with the Ministry extensively and was well acquainted with a number of members of the DMLE. Shacklebolt was a former Slytherin, and poised to be the next Head of the DMLE, and so of course she was aware of the man.

"I am coming," she said as she slowly opened the door, and it was indeed him, Head Auror Shackbolt outside her office, with a whole squad of aurors, appearing extremely anxious.

She frowned as she stepped out, and looked towards the tall man.

"May I ask what is going on?" she questioned as she saw the man reach into his pocket.

"Miss Greengrass we need to search your office, and your home. The warrant is right there," he said as he handed her a warrant, making her frown as she saw that it had been issued mere minutes earlier.

But why did they need to search her office, and she felt dread pool in her gut as she looked up at the head auror, and questioned.

"What happened?" and Kingsley didn't answer immediately as he motioned for the Aurors to search her office.

"I believe I bring grave news concerning one of your clients," and her heart stilled.

"But tonight a break in happened in the Low security Ministry prions, Crovus Lestrange has escaped and has taken Hermione Granger as a hostage," and she stilled as she refused to believe those words and shook her head.

"NO, that is impossible." She spoke, knowing that Crovus had no reason to escape. Gods he had no desire for it. And taking Hermione Granger as a hostage. Idiotic. Something else was a foot.

She pocketed the warrant and looked towards Kingsley.

"Make sure your people don't make a mess of things," she said as she began to walk away.

"Where are you going?" he questioned, and she didn't bother to turn to answer, as she stepped out of the wards and replied.

"To meet with the Minister."

CRACK!

0000

SEVERUS SNAPE-(Flashback)