Part 17

Chapter 17

As the medics carried the body of the fatally injured Crovus to St. Mungo's, the so-called most dangerous wizard fought a battle between life and death as the healers worked to keep the man alive.

While on the other hand, the Minister and the Aurors were themselves shaken by the revelation of Hermione Granger. The news that the Dark Lord had somehow survived sent ripples through their society, as the wizards and witches all over Britain became nervous, their memories of the last war that had barely just ended still fresh in their minds.

A special inquiry was called, and despite the Minister's best efforts, the spread of the news could not be stopped, and the whole wizarding world began speculating about the Dark Lord's rising and death of their savior, Harry Potter.

Theories began to float, some closer to the truth than the other. The atmosphere in the wizarding world was tense, as everyone had their eyes set on the Ministry of Magic for a clarification, one which would arrive two days later, in the form of a press release, a press release that shall be read across the globe.

CROVUS LESTRANGE PUTS DOWN THE DARK LORD! HARRY POTTER- BRITAIN'S HERO DEAD FOR A YEAR!

The headlines and the subsequent report would shake up the whole world, and people would protest, contesting the report. In the end, an ICW unit would arrive at popular demand, scrutinize the report, and declare it to be true.

A funeral would be arranged for their fallen hero, and thousands would attend as the wizarding world would pay their tributes to the Boy-Who-Lives. His accolades may have lessened, yet that didn't diminish what the boy had done for them and their community.

While even then, as three days had passed, the most controversial figure in Britain would still cling to the life he had been so ready to give, a miracle the healers would call it as Crovus Lestrange continued to hang on to his last breath, despite odds.

Many would visit him as well, yet one figure would barely leave his side over the days, a blonde girl without an arm, eyes blue as the clear ocean as she sat there beside him, holding his hand and praying.

Yet on the fourth day, for the first time since she had arrived back in British lands, the blonde woman could not be found near the room, as the latest edition of the Day carried the massive headline.

THE TRIAL OF THE CENTURY RESUMES!

00000

DAPHNE GREENGRASS

Daphne Greengrass took a deep breath as she stood up as the trial began once again. The whole court room was still as everyone was waiting for her to begin her defence, and though the incidents of the past few days had shocked the whole world, the death of Harry Potter, the return of Voldemort however brief it had been had shaken their society to the core.

The populace had refused to believe the Ministry's word. Their prejudice against anything even remotely related to the Dark Lord had marred their judgment, and protests had begun taking place against Crovus, much to her anger and frustration.

Yet in the end, it had been Hermione Granger herself who had stepped forward hours later and confirmed the reports from the Ministry and the ICW, adding that Crovus had saved her life and that the incidents as reported in the press briefing and reports were true.

It had shocked the people, for everyone was aware of their history. The muggle-born witch held a personal grudge against Crovus Lestrange for the killing of Ronald Weasley. It was the final straw, and Daphne planned to use it.