Part 3

Chapter 3-OPENING STATEMENTS

HERMIONE GRANGER

The courtroom became quiet as Amelia Bones struck the gavel, motioning the resume of the trial, and she stilled as she saw Percy stand up with a nod. His face was impassive, yet she knew just how much he was suffering inside and just how much time he had spent to become the prosecutor in this trial.

Her own fists balled up as she thought about her departed friend, and her eyes shifted towards the person who had killed him. Crovus Lestrange sat in his seat. A single chain held him tied to his chair as he looked impassively at the proceedings.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the court, there are few times when a case is as simple as this, an open and shut case. I believe there would be few among us who aren't aware of the actions of Crovus Lestrange, so I will keep it all very brief and concise," began Percy Weasley as he walked to stand in front of the judges and jurors.

"The person sitting opposite there in that chair was the handpicked successor of the perhaps the most evil man of our generation. The list of atrocities committed by him is extensive, and I could spend a whole day mentioning the charges that have been brought against him, yet I won't do that," said Percy and then moved towards his desk and pointed towards a stack of documents.

"Instead, I will point you towards the heap of evidence that ties down Crovus Lestrange to all those allegations, ranging from murder to treason," finished Percy with a flourish as he looked towards Minister Amelia.

"That will be all!" he said and moved back into his seat as she heard the sound of quills scratching and cameras clicking, Daphne finally stood up from her seat and began to walk towards the jury as well, the click of her heels the only sound in the whole court as everyone held their breaths.

"I thank the prosecution for keeping their statements short," she began slowly and she watched as the whole Court hung at her every word, trying to piece out the reason for her presence.

"War is a terrible thing. Terrible," she began, her lips thinning,

"It brings with itself trying times. Times that test us all in every way possible, putting our very lives in the balance. Yet it also highlights the courageous among us, as they step out and take charge, and try to lead us into a better future," she said with a raised brow as she suddenly turned and pointed towards them.

"We call them heroes, and we honor them. Even right now, there would hardly be a child in all of magical Britain who doesn't know about the tales of Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter, and Ronald Weasley," she said. Hermione frowned, and she felt Harry shift as well, appearing confused by Daphne's actions, much like herself.

She had thought that she would try to lead the defense by using the defense of Crovus being underage, or a defense based on duress. She had helped Percy prepare against these lines of action herself, yet Daphne seemed to be ignoring these two avenues.

"Yet there are some heroes whose actions are never truly recognized, their names lost to the ravines of time, despite being nearly or sometimes even more important than those who bask in the light. I would like to honor them as well, honor Regulus Black, and Severus Snape," and she felt her heart thump in her chest as she mentioned those two names. For there was no way for her to know the truth behind these names. Since the truth had been declared as classified by the Ministry and would only be revealed after the trials had concluded. Yet Daphne had somehow, gotten her hands on it.

How? Her eyes shifted towards harry and he had a similar frown on his face as he shifted nervously beside her as well, as the reporters frantically captured this moment, and then she continued her voice louder than before as she turned to face her client.