Taking Care of The Pack

I do not own KDA, LoL, or anything referenced.

-Grey POV-

I walk into the house from school and I hear Mom and Dad talking in the Kitchen. "What do you mean it won't start until eight weeks after the incident?!" Mom asks and Dad sighs.

"Honey. Sadly that's how things work, until it starts we're going to be tight on money. We can't let our kids know, if I have to go hungry for a while...I will." Dad says and I look down. My older siblings are away at college, I graduate this year, and my younger sisters are about to be freshmen next year.

"You need more strength than me Dear. I'll go hungry for a bit." Mom says softly and that's when I knock on the wall. "Yes?!" Mom says quickly and I walk in.

"Hey there Little Pup! How was school?" Dad asks with a smile and I look at his cast on the left leg.

"It was school." I say and he chuckles.

"I know kiddo. But you just have two months left!" He says cheerfully.

"You alright Dad?" I ask and he nods. I give him a look and point at his leg.

"Oh! Your old man isn't as young as he used to be! I'll be home for a while but then it's back to the forge!" He says cheerfully and I hug him.

"Love you Pops." I say and he hugs me back while patting my shoulder.

"Love you too Kiddo. Now go play your video game and think about what college you're going to! I don't want you to be like your Old Man." He says and I nod.

"Gotcha Pops." I say and begin to head down to my room. As I close the door I wait by it to eavesdrop on my parents.

"We don't have the money to send him to college." Mother says and I hear her sit down.

"I will not rob my son of an education. We will put him through college like his older siblings." Dad states with a serious tone. I decide not to listen anymore and get on my laptop. I look down as I think about how things are going to get tight. So I open up the browser and look into the military. I see the thirty thousand sign up bonus and sigh.

"How far is the nearest office?" I ask myself and look it up. I smile and quickly grab my car keys before running upstairs.

"Where are you going Kiddo?!" Dad asks and I smile at him.

"Out for a little bit!" I call out and go to my Bonneville. I quickly drive to the recruiting office to talk to them. I pull up to see the Marine recruiter getting out of her car. I quickly park and get out to talk to her.

"Excuse me Ma'am." I say and she stops and turns to me.

"Yes?" She says looking up to me as I get serious.

"I'd like to enlist." I say and she nods with a smile.

"Follow me kid." She says and I follow her inside. She walks me up to her desk and sits down with me. "Now i need to know how old you are and your education." She says and I sit up straight.

"My name is Grey Koi-Len, I'm eighteen, and I'm graduating highschool in two months." I tell her honestly and she smiles.

"Why do you want to sign up?" She asks and I look down at my hands.

"My Dad got hurt on the job...and I want to take care of my family as he gets better." I say and clench my fists tightly. "I have to." I say and she reaches over.

"That's very honorable Grey. Have you told them what you're doing?" She asks and I shake my head.

"No. I don't want them to know I know... they'll try and stop me." I tell her and she frowns.