Mingi | 🗝⏳

˚     ˚        .  .

The sound of his laughter

 ˚     ˚        .  .

Music was my haven, my escape, my one and only relief. When I felt like dying, I would listen to music. I wasn't afraid of death! People who never lived in poverty would never understand this feeling. People around me looked at me as if I were an alien from another planet, laughing at an immature high school student wanting to die. I guess it is uncommon for someone my age to feel that way. Only few friends' names you remember through elementary, middle, and high school. Most of them were in elementary school. No one talked to me, but that is mainly because I didn't answer even when they tried talking to me. But Wooyoung was different. Not that I remember, he was with me all throughout elementary, middle, and high school. Wooyoung would always come next to me every break. Whether I answer or not, he would go on with his stories about our classmates, his favorite songs, some respected American dancers, and that music team he works for outside of school. He always tops it with that signature laugh of his, which naturally made me laugh. Out of shyness, I started calling him 'Woo-Ong'. Ah, that unique laugh of his. He was the first friend I've ever opened up to.

At some point, I started eating and spending most of my time with Wooyoung. It was around that time too when I followed him to the hideout for the first time: the place where I could dream. They were friends who took me as I am. We cried, laughed, and made music together. They accepted me as who I am, regardless of where I live or who my parents were. I felt exuberant for the first time in my life. But now I'm getting scared. Can I really have a dream? Will it not be taken away from me?