Chapter 3

I arrived at the venue where the first show of tour was going to take place. I had my camera, and I was taking pictures of the band during soundcheck. I saw the lead singer, but still, I'm yet to meet him. I started to get some pretty good pictures of soundcheck, and since it was basically over, I went to get get some water. I grabbed a bottle of water off the black table and opened it, taking a few small sips from the bottle. The music from the stage stopped, and there were some loud conversations going on.

"You must be the new photographer." I heard. I spun around seeing the man who was just singing on the stage. "Uh yeah. I am." I said. "Cool, I'm Matty, and you are?" "Ember." I said softly. "So, you think we sounded good? First nights of tours are really the most harsh. At least for me." He said. "I mean, you guys didn't sound bad. I think your fans are gonna be happy either way." He smiled at me. "Did you get any good pictures of soundcheck?" He asked. "Uh yeah, I did." I said more softly. "Could I see them?" He asked me. "Wel-" "Matty, can we talk for a moment?" Jamie asked. "Yeah." He said. He then turned to me with a partial smile. "Another time them?" I let out a small chuckle and nodded. He then walked off with Jamie.

I flipped through the pictures I got, and I couldn't help but laugh at some of them. Matty definitely loved to show all expressions with just his face. So he looked pretty crazy in most of the photos. It was like 1 out of every 6 pictures would be a good one where he didn't look absolutely insane. "Hey Ember, Jamie wants to see you." Another crew member said. "Great, do you know where he is?" I asked. "Down the hall 3rd door on the left." He said. "Thanks." I said. I picked up my water bottle and walked to the room I was told Jamie was in.

As I walked down the hall, I heard some yelling. "You can't keep doing this shit!" Jamie yelled. "It was one fucking kiss. I was drunk." Matty said back with a slightly raised voice. "Well, this can't keep happening. It looks bad with all the press." Jamie argued. "I don't fucking care that it looks bad. These paparazzi can suck my dick for all I care." Matty said back. I walked to the room and knocked on the door. "You wanted to see me?" I questioned. "Yeah, come in." He said. "Can I leave now?" Matty asked. "No, this actually concerns the both of you." Jamie said. I looked at Matty, and he looked at me. We were bothe confused out of our minds.

I sat in the chair next to Matty and faced Jamie. "Ember, not only are we hiring you as the new tour photographer, but you're going to be Matty's new girlfriend." He said. "Hold on, what!?" I asked. "Yeah, um, explain." Matty said. "Well, we need something to sell the album that's coming out thus fall. So, we're staging this relationship. Then, just before the album comes out, you two break up, and then people will be wondering if this album has any sings about Ember here, so that's more sells, more streams, more money." Jamie said. "I'm not gonna be in some fake relationship. You fucking crazy." Matty said. "Yeah, this is insane." I added.

"Well, you can say no Ember, but then we're getting you a flight back home, and we'll find someone else for this job." Jamie said. "You can't be serious." Matty said. "Listen, all do respect, sir, I need this job, I need the money. But I can't play pretend for 5 and a half months." I said. "Well, I'm leaving the decision up to you. But I need to know before the show tonight." He said. "I can't wait to tell the boys how delusional you've become." Matty said. He then stood up and went to walk out. "None of the guys or crew will know about this. Nor will your friends and family. Everyone needs to believe this is a real relationship." Jamie said. "I need to think about all of this." I said as I stood up. "Remember I need to know hy 7:00." He said.

I walked out and sat on the stage, looking through more of the picture I had taken of the guys. "That ones a keeper." I heard. I laughed a little, and then the body sat next to me. "George looks like he's taking a shit." He said again, making me laugh. "So, what are you gonna do about the whole thing with Jamie?" He asked me. I looked at him and said, "Why is this just my decision?" I asked. "Because no matter what, it's gonna happen to me. So if you don't wanna do it, then dont." He said. "I really need this job. My best friend and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with literally just those two rooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. This job alone could literally help me buy a house. Not to mention, I'm taking care of a kid, so that doesn't help." I said. "Wait, you have a kid?" He asked. "I don't, it's my friends kid. But I help her out with him as much as I can. He's basically my kid." I said. He let out a small chuckle. "Then keep the job, I mean, if you really need the money that badly." He said. "This is so shitty." I said. "Yup." He added.

"Well, I've gotta go. I need to get ready for the show that's here in about 2 hours. Let me know when you decide what you're gonna do." "I will." I said.

I wanted so badly to call my mom or Liz and ask them what they thought I should do. But I can't. I just want to be able to talk to someone about it, at least someone that isn't matty or Jamie.