Chapter 13

"Okay, so fill me in, I need to know as much possible about your mom and her fiancé." Matty said. I let out a small laugh then said, "Okay, well, her Fiancé is Matt, he-" "I'm sorry!?!?" He said, making me laugh more. "He's actually also the lead singer in a band." I said softly. "Oh really, what band?" Matty asked. "Well, not one you would know." I said. "Try me." He said as he raised his eyebrows. "It's a country band." I said. "Yeah, definitely don't know them." He said, laughing slightly. "How long have your mom and him been together?" He asked. "Mmmm... almost a year, I believe." I said. "Damn, they really didn't waste any time." He said, making me laugh. "Wait till you meet Matt's brother, Scott." I said.

"Oh dear god." He said. "Yeah, Scott asked his wife out after only knowing her a few days. And then he proposed like a week later. They then got married 2 days after." I said. "Oh shit." He said while chuckling. I looked at him as he smiled, and i couldn't help but smile as well. "Thank you for coming with me. It means the world." I said. "Of course. I'd do practically anything for you." He said. I laughed slightly. "I'm serious." He said. I reached for his hand and held it firmly. "Are you okay?" He asked. "Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I asked. "Something just seems off. You know you can talk to me, right?" He asked me genuinely, looking concerned. "Yeah, I know." I said. "So what's going on right now?" He asked.

"This whole thing is just stressful." I said. "What do you mean?" He asked. "My mom has had the shittiest luck with men. I mean, starting with my dad, he was a complete asshole to my mom, so of course, they got divorced. Then my mom got remarried to a man who seemed amazing, but he was so disgusting, sick, and twisted, so they got divorced. And now im so scared that there is gonna be a flaw with Matt that we haven't seen yet. I'm just so scared for my mom and for my little brother." I said. "Hey, you know they will be okay no matter what, right? Clearly, you all have been through some shit. Well, now you know, no matter what, you'll make it through." He said. "Wow, I was not expecting to hear anything like that." I said with a small chuckle. I laid my head on his shoulder. "This is a good thing." He said. "Yeah." I said softly.

*In North Carolina*

We landed, and I knew what this meant. "Be prepared for a really loud girl and the cutest little kid you've ever seen." I said to Matty.

As we got to baggage claim, I saw them both standing there. "Oh my god." I said. Next thing I know, the small boy is running straight towards me with his arms wide open. As he got closer to me, I got down on the ground on my knees, and I hugged him. "I missed you so much, Hunter." I said as I hugged him. "We miss-sss-sed you." He said. "You got so big while I was gone. I said, and I tickled him slightly, causing him to giggle. I look up, seeing Liz almost to me. I stood up and was instantly pulled into a hug. "I've missed you bitch." She said making me laugh. "Yeah, biiiitch." Hunter said, making us all laugh. I then looked over at Matty. "Oh, right. Liz, this is Matty. Matty, this is my best friend Liz. And this is her adorable son Hunter." I said. Almost immediately, they got along, and it made me so happy to see.

*Later*

Matty had a few things he had to take care of. He's still working working working. But I guess it worked out since I was going to be with my mom all day.

"So, how are you and Matty doing?" My mom asked. I smiled slightly. "Were really good." I said, smiling wider. "OOoooOoOooO!" Liz and my mom said. "What?" I asked. "You really like him, huh?" My aunt asked. "Yeah, I do." I said happily. "You two are probably getting a little more serious, right?" Liz asked. "Yeah, uh- it's complicated." I said. I mean, we've only actually been together for like a week. "I mean, you two have been dating for a while ish... right?" My mom asked. "Y-Yeah." I said, not meaning to stutter. "You okay?" My aunt asked. "Yeah. Sorry." I said. I hated lying. These were some of the people i was closest to. I so badly wanna just tell them that Matty and I weren't really dating up until my birthday. But I can't.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding." My aunt said. "What?" My mom asked. "Uhhh, Ember, Liz, can we step outside, please?" She said.

This isn't good.

We all three stepped outside the room. "What's wrong?" Liz asked. "Sophia, the girl who was supposed to pick up the cake, just came down with a really bad flu, we have no one to pick up the cake." She said. "Okay, you two go back in there. Make sure mom isn't freaking out too hard. And then I'll figure it out." I said. "You sure?" Liz asked. "Yeah." I said.

As they went back inside, I started going over our guest list and who would possibly be able to get the cake. But then it hit me.

I grabbed my phone and called Matty. "Pick up pick up pick upppp..." I said to myself. After a moment the phone answered. "Okay, thank God you answered." I said. "Is everything okay?" He asked. "Welllll... we have no way for the cake to get here. Is there any chance you could pick it up?" I asked him. "Yeah, of course. Send me all the information and I'll get it." He said. "You are an absolute life saver. THANK YOU!" I said, making him chuckle.