1. moving to seoul

8.32 AM

The fresh scent of coffee hit my nostrils as soon as I opened my eyes, making me instantly wake up from my slumber. A hot cup of coffee early in the morning is all I need to stay energetic for the rest of the day. And today, it happens it happens to be a day when it's even more important because today I'll be moving to Seoul to start living on my own — Not that I have been living with my parents this whole time but I have been living with my younger brother for a few years now, so that means I haven't been alone.

Getting up from the comfort of my bed — which I will be missing a lot from now on — I walked to the washroom to freshen up before heading down to have breakfast with my brother. About 10 minutes later, I was finished with my everyday routine and headed downstairs for breakfast.

Walking into the dining room, my brother was already sitting there, waiting for me to come down so we can eat together. This is the last breakfast together in a while so he says he doesn't wanna miss it and even insists on making the breakfast himself, which is usually made by me.

As soon as he felt my presence in the room, he kept his phone down which he was playing while waiting and told me to take a seat. As I sat down, I couldn't help but take a bite of the sandwich right away because it looked so appetising. His cooking has always been so good, I don't even know where he learned it from because I don't remember my mom ever teaching him to cook.

"Woah, Hong Jisoo, you're literally the best" I gave him a thumbs up, smiling at him. He smiled back at me but then his smile faded away slowly. "Is something wrong? You don't look so happy. You've been like this since yesterday" I asked, feeling worried for my brother. He's never like this. He's always so cheerful and happy, it's easy to tell when he's feeling down.

"It's nothing, I'm just not really happy that you're leaving. I don't remember the last time I lived without you. When I left the US, you came with me. Then when you were going to come to Busan, leaving Seoul, I came with you. We've always lived with each other. It just feels weird thinking about how I'll be all alone in this house" He is right. We almost never lived without each other, unless it was some school trip or a trip with friends, but those only lasted a few days. We've never really lived away from each other.

"I'm sorry, Shua-yah. You know why I came to Busan right? I never planned on living here permanently. I only came here to get rid of him. And now that I feel like I've finally moved on, I wanna go back and start a new life. The life I've always dreamed of. I'm not leaving you. I never will. I can always come and visit you and you know you can do the same. That's not a big deal. I'm your sister, no matter what, I'll always be by your side, okay?" He smiled at me, I know that isn't his normal smile. He just wanted to assure me that he is fine.

"I know it's not a big deal. Don't worry. It's just that living alone will feel weird, nothing else. Now eat before it gets cold" I nodded and continued eating, the fact that he still isn't that happy made me kind of guilty. I felt as if I am the reason behind this — which I am — But I felt bad for making the decision I made. I knew it would hurt him yet I still did. But there's no turning back now. My things have already been sent to Seoul. My apartment is set the way I wanted it, everything is done. I just need to go and start living. I can't do anything now to change it.

"Noona, stop worrying. I really am fine. If you keep being like this, I'll actually be sad. Even more sad than I already am" I chuckled at his words. "Okay, I'll stop"

9.45 AM

The car stopped, Joshua turned off the engine and we both got out. He helped me take out the luggage from the trunk and pulled up the handle. "Let's go"

We both went into the station — he insisted that he'll be with me until the train takes off — and I took a seat on an empty bench, waiting for Joshua to come join me with the coffee he was buying. A few minutes of waiting, he came back with two cups of coffee in his hand, handing me one of them and taking a seat after.