030||Distraught

Chapter 030

STOP LYING

|NOVA|

THINGS GOT A little heated between us. I knew I should have left, but my mum would have come looking for me, so I had to act like everything was fine to avoid attracting any unwanted attention.

 I knew that if my mum knew about our relationship, she would be furious, so i tried to ignore the simmering tension between us. But it was impossible. everywhere i looked, i could sense him looking at me.

Jadon stood with me as i explained the situation when marcus didn't want to, he began trying his hardest to soothe things between us, insisting that marcus and i talk things out and made it clear that he didn't want any friction between us.

He looked very confused that marcus would even think of cheating, he sensed that something was wrong and that marcus was never the person to do such a thing. he still demanded that I'd go and talk things out with him.

As for me, i was stuck in the middle, jadon sounded too convincing but im certain amaya would never lie, so all i could do was shake everything off and use this as an excuse for needing a drink. I hadn't had a night out in ages and, im not going to waste this one. 

As I downed my first serving, i heard a loud cheering noise making me walk towards the center. I pulled out my phone, capturing the scene in front of me. Staff brought out a huge cake, adorned with sparkles and confetti was spread through the air. There was no shortage of pictures taken as the guests gathered to celebrate Marcus's birthday.

 Marcus began his short speech, thanking everyone for coming, and of course, jadon did not disappoint with making the crowd laugh by stuffing marcus's face with a plate full of vanilla frosting, topping it with a mini flag. Laughter and smiles were spread, as marcus began chasing him, threatening to spread it on his shirt.

We all ended it with a song and wished him a happy birthday. the alcohol started taking a toll on me though i only had one drink, i wasn't too bad though. I began loosening up and engulfing in the moment. That was, until my mum asked for a picture of me and marcus. 

My heart sank, and I tried to protest, but my mum insisted. i had no choice but to stand next to Marcus and smile for the picture. He returned from the bathroom, after cleaning himself up and wiping his face with a tea towel which he left on the side.

I stood awkwardly in front of him as he took an opportunity to swarm his arms around my waist.  "i didn't cheat, nova." he leaned down to my ears, whispering as my mum shifted trying to get the best angle.

 I turned my head slightly to face him, realising his face was practically touching mine. I pulled his hands away that were circling on my hip and stepped away from him. "stop lying" i scoffed, walking away not giving the chance for a photo to be taken.

I was kept company by tolami after she'd noticed my mood dropping. I leaned my back towards the bar's counter, not wanting to spread anything to her or anyone else yet, so i just blamed it on the alcohol. Soon the room began emptying, amaya and my mum made their way toward me, letting me know they were leaving before it got too late.

"take care mum, i promise ill come and visit" she rubbed my back as she placed a peck on my cheek. I faced amaya, giving her a sympathetic smile.

 "thank you for inviting me, nova. i had fun" she said, not mentioning that topic, keeping my mum and tolami oblivious to the situation. She gave tolami a hug then they both left.

All that remained were a few friends of marcus who would return back to his house. I was meant to return in marcus's car but instead i had asked tolami and bukayo if they were alright with me joining them for the ride.