iii.

( SADIE )

( SADIE )

my parents stand before me as i sit on the couch, fidgeting with my hands.

"why is this like a meeting?" i emit a nervous chuckle.

a sigh escapes my mothers lips before she starts. "sadie, you know we want the best for you, right?"

i glance around anxiously. "uhm, yeah?"

"good" she nods.

"we think you're making the wrong lifestyle choice right now" my dad clears his throat. "yes, faye is a brilliant girl, but you know she's not who you're meant to be with"

my heart sinks.

"what do you mean? i thought you loved her"

my mom takes my hand in hers. "we do, honey. she can be a friend, but anything more than that is just not how we are"

her words stir frustration within me, causing me to break my avoidance of eye contact and glare directly at her.

"not how we are? you can't decide how i live, this is my choice. i love faye"

"fayes just a phase. you don't really love her, maybe as a frie-"

"no, i love her" my voice rises, cutting off my fathers words. "as my girlfriend. you're making it sound like my relationship is meaningless"

"calm down, sadie" my father warns. "look, we know you're still inlove with felix. it's an awful idea to throw all that away for this... girl"

i'm taken aback. "that's not true"

"we've seen the way you look at him, the way you talk to him. there's something so special between you two" my mother chimes.

i shift uncomfortably in my seat. "i still care about him, but it's not like that"

"we just want you to be happy, sadie. felix was always there for you. we know you think you love faye, but sometimes love isn't enough to sustain a relationship. felix could offer you stability and a future, your current option cannot do that" my father states, legitimacy present in his tone.

"well" i clench my jaw. "you don't know shit"

i begin standing up prior to feeling a weight on my shoulders, fixing me back onto the couch.

"listen, sadie" my moms tone is stern. "we're trying to protect you from making a horrible mistake"

"no, you're not" my voice shakes. "i'm not sacrificing my happiness for what you think is best for me"

i stand up once again, uninterrupted.