iii.

( FAYE )

( FAYE )

wearing the veil of midnight, the balcony stands as a silent sentinel overlooking the sleeping city.

the world below is wrapped in a quilt of darkness, with only the moon and stars as distant, celestial nightlights.

finn and i are situated in two chairs facing one another, silhouetted against the city's muted luminance.

a light, nocturnal breeze brushes past us, rustling the leaves of potted plants and bringing with it the scent of nighttime flowers.

finns eyes land on mine. "faye, what happened with you and sadie?"

noticing my lack of response, he speaks again.

"i mean, it's not new for you two to fall apart but i thought you were trying to be friends. you haven't seen her in months"

he's not wrong; sadie and i have been mere specks in each other's orbits. we've had tiny glimmers of interaction these past few months.

only the occasional texts, or comments under eachothers posts.

for anyone with a sensible mind, this drifting apart would seem like a blessing, especially given the profound hurt she deals me.

yet, for me, it's hell.

i know i should distance myself; sadie has been both my bane and my solace.

i sigh, placing my mug on the small table. "it wasn't intentional. life just got in the way"

finn nods, deciding to sweep away the subject.

"so, i'm hosting a party this saturday" he begins. "just for fun, i don't know"

i chuckle. "and you wanna ask me if you can invite sadie?"

a sheepish grin spreads across his expression. "well... yeah"

"ofcourse" i shrug. "i'm okay with it"

he exhales in relief. "good, i already invited her like an hour ago"

— ★ —

sadies entrance is like a solar eclipse, casting a shadow over the ambience of the party.

i felt her presence before i even saw her; the aura of uncertainty, like a storm brewing on the horizon.