iv.

( FAYE )

( FAYE )

as the car steers into an unfamiliar town, our eyes scan the streets for a potential place to stay.

i watch the quaint buildings with intrigue, spotting a vintage motel, its neon retro sign beckoning like a siren of nostalgia.

i direct sadies attention towards it. "that looks nice"

with that, and a shared glance and a shrug, we pull into the motel's parking lot.

the two of us step through the wooden doors, glancing around the crowded lobby as we head towards the reception.

a friendly clerk who seems to have stepped right out of the '60s welcomes us with a warm grin.

"hello! how can i help you today?"

"we're looking for a room for the weekend" sadie states.

the clerk nods, handing us a set of keys attached to a wooden fob with a number etched into it.

"room 7, right at the end of the corridor. enjoy your stay!" she chirps.

"thank you" i smile back at her as we head to our room.

"she was way too sweet, that's scary" sadie murmurs, narrowing her eyes as we walk.

we step through the rooms door and find ourselves transported to a different time.

"holy shit" the redhead gasps, taking everything in. "this is the coolest motel i've ever seen"

the air carries a faint scent of nostalgia, as if past decades still linger here. the room is cozy and compact, yet it carries an aura that only years of history can cultivate.

an evening glow sneaks itself past the slightly worn but laced curtains, casting patterns on the wooden floor.

the centerpiece of the room is a massive, cushioned queen-size bed, with a golden-yellow bedspread draping over it.

a rotary dial phone rests on the wooden nightstand, its holes a reminder of when reaching out to someone required patience and wristwork.

i pull out my phone upon seeing the retro and abstract paintings that adorn the walls, immediately snapping a picture.

"faye, look"

sadie directs my attention towards a small record player that sits on an antique table, surrounded by vinyl records of former tunes.

i gasp. "we have to listen to these!" i almost squeal, causing her to burst into laughter.

"i'm staying here forever" i grin, dropping on the warm hued bedsheets.

the redhead joins me. the two of us lie side to side as we gaze up towards the unadorned ceiling, a plain surface amidst the chaos.